Differerent Types of Flanges

Users who are viewing this thread

jmeich80

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I have been searching the internet for a while now and this is far and away the best plumbing forum I have found.

I am an amateur working on my own home, but I figure doing things is the only way to learn. I am in the final stages of adding a basement bathroom and I have hit a road block.

My bathroom has tile flooring over concrete. After I finished the tile I tried installing my toilet and my flange sits 1/4 inch off of the tile. I am using a 3 inch spigot fit PVC flange, and the small lip (1/2 inch) on the underside of it hits the top of the PVC/grout. This is what is keeping the rest of the flange from resting on the tile.

So I went to the hardware store to see if they sold a flange that didn't have that lip, I was pleased that they did - it is appropriately called a level-fit flange. But when I picked up the one marked as 3 inch, I realized the outlet was smaller than on the three inch spigot-fit flange. And the 4 inch is too big. (The 3 inch spigot-fit fits perfectly, diameter wise, into the PVC that I have buried under concrete and tile.)

Obviously I am missing something. Why is the 3 inch level-fit smaller than the 3 inch spigot-fit? Is there any adapter (that doesn't add height) that I can use to make the 3 inch level-fit work?

I hope my questions and explanation are clear. Please let me know if they are not.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks