Different type of popping around water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

xxxshiftxxx

Reaction score
I have done some searching for banging pipes, but was un able to find what I am currently experiencing.

My issue is banging in the walls around my water heater when I open and flow some water in my house. I have at least narrowed down when this happens. It is happening after someone uses a lot of hot water, such as a bath or shower, and the water heater is refilling.

So, water heater is filling... someone flows water at a sink, toilet flush, washer machine etc... then banging noises for a few seconds coming from the walls around the water heater.

Home was built in 2006

Water pressure is 50psi with a hose bib gauge, residual pressure is like 40 when we open a valve inside.

It sounds like the water fill line at the water heater cavities when it is filling and something else is open...

Thank you for all and any information!

xxxshiftxxx

Reaction score
Just ran a test to pinpoint this noise. I had my hand on the water heater and had the wife open a valve inside... the noise is originating inside the water heater... is it toast?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you think you have the noise when the water is immediately drawn or is it after a few minutes when the water cools down and it needs to be heated? If it is electric, turn off the power at the circuit panel, then try it again. If no noise read below.

If it still makes noise with power off? It is just a big empty tank with two electric heating element, a plastic fill tube on the cold water side and a anode rod. Maybe the plastic tube broke in two and the broken part is banging around when the water flows. Possibly the anode rod dissolved in pieces and they're banging around when the water flows but that is doubtful.

https://www.energydepot.com/RPUres/library/images/REwaterheater1.jpg

If it is an electric water heater, it sounds like there is heavy mineral deposits on the electric heating element(s). My Keurig 2.0 does it when it reheats the water after a brew. The water heater does not refill after a use. It is constantly have water running through it when in use. An electric water heater with two elements the lower element does most of the heating. With heavy use and when the upper half of the water falls below the set temperature, the upper thermostat switches off the lower element and switches power to the upper heating element. But there should be no noise other than hearing the water making a little noise from the heating elements like when you boil water on a stove, it hisses a bit before getting to a boil.

A 13 year old electric water heater may still have some life in it depending on the mineral content of your water. If it is gas, replace it. If electric, replacing the elements may take care if the noise. I sold my home of 26 years with an electric water heater 17 years old and only one time I had to replace the thermostats. My current home was built in 2007 and the same water heater still works. Electrics do last much longer than gas fired water heaters.

Last edited:

xxxshiftxxx

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It is a 2 1/2 year old Natural Gas water heater.
I talked to Rheem today and opened a case. They requested that I take a video and attach it to our email conversation so they can have a tech review it since it is violent banging and not the usual popping. Will update.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks