Differences in Baroid Drilling Mud

Users who are viewing this thread

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I am researching the various drilling muds, i.e. bentonite viscosifiers from Baroid (Haliburton).

Can anyone tell me what the specific differences are between AQUA-GEL, AQUA-GEL Gold Seal, QUIK-GEL and QUIK-GEL Gold are? And can you help me with finding a convenient supplier of these products in eastern Nebraska?

Thanks,

RADAR

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Aqua-gel is an API grade bentonite. Aqua-gel Gold has absolutely no polymers added, is straight bentonite. As I recall from Baroid mud school in Houston, the aqua-gel can take up to 24 hrs to fully hydrate.

Quik-gel is the normally used water well drilling mud. It has polymers added to increase the yield. It takes less than half as much quik-gel to make the same viscosity fluid as Aqua-gel. I've never used Quik-gel Gold. Evidently it is their premium product. EZ-mud will hydrate to 80% or its yield within 20 minutes

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I purchase most my supplies from Preferred Pump. Their closest locations to you would be Denver or Grand Island.

I usually buy bentonite by the pallet, sometimes by the semi-load. If you only need a few sacks, it might be easiest to buy them from a local driller.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Boyce,

That helps explain a great deal. More than just the data sheets directly from Baroid for each of their products. But, you mentioned EZ-Mud. That is a product that I hadn't yet heard of. Is this also a viscosifier like the others?

If I were to bore a 2" to 4" case water well, through loose fine to medium sand and some gravel and some clay, would the Quik-Gel be the most recommended? It doesn't seem that there is a great deal of difference in the price, but that is hard to judge as I haven't found a local supplier and some distant suppliers state that they sell it by the pallet only. I won't need or want an entire pallet of bags. I am looking for the product which will keep the bore hole from collapsing on me until I get down to the water bearing formation (about 20 feet).

If I don't lose too much fluid while drilling, if I can contain most of it all in the recirculation process without spillage or leakage, I judge that I may use between 250 to 400 gallons of water with a viscosifier. I would require only a few bags of Quik-Gel if this is the case. Maybe several bags if I miscalculate, but not a whole pallet.

RADAR

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are four major manufacturers of drilling bentonite. Baroid, Cetco, Wyo-Ben, and M-I. They all have equivalent products. I have used all of those brands at one time or another. I normally used Baroid products. I have two distributors within 60 miles of me that deliver to me. Baroid has sent me to a week long mud school in Houston. They have two mud engineers close by. If I have a problem, one of them can be to my site within hours. When I'm mud drilling they will stop by and analyse my mud and give me recommendations.

I have one friend that will only use Cetco Super Gel X for drilling mud. Another friend that has directional drills will only use WyoBen.

Last edited:

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I purchase most my supplies from Preferred Pump. Their closest locations to you would be Denver or Grand Island.

I usually buy bentonite by the pallet, sometimes by the semi-load. If you only need a few sacks, it might be easiest to buy them from a local driller.

I do have a local driller that I might obtain this through, but I am not sure if he would order extra just for me. He might just give me one or two bags of whatever he uses normally, but even though it is cheap, I would feel obligated to pay him for the real value. I don't want him to feel put out by circumventing his services. I don't see him too often, but I will ask him next spring.

RADAR

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
There are four major manufacturers of drilling bentonite. Baroid, Cetco, Wyo-Ben, and M-I. They all have equivalent products. I have used all of those brands at one time or another. I normally used Baroid products. I have two distributors within 60 miles of me that deliver to me. Baroid has sent me to a week long mud school in Houston. By hey have two mud engineers close by. If I have a problem, one of them can be in my site within hours. When I'm mud drilling they will stop by and analyse my mud and give me recommendations.

I have one friend that will only use Cetco Super Gel X for drilling mud. Another friend that has directional drills will only use WyoBen.

I have no affiliation with any of the companies, but have focused my research on the Baroid products so far. I did look into the CetCo brand for a bit, but I was already confused enough just trying to determine the differences between all of the Baroid products.

RADAR

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I do know that I will require a drilling mud of some sort as my past experience has proven this to me. The substrate here has too much loose sand which caves in on my bore hole as I am drilling. If I do not drill the bore hole with fluid, then I am left with manually driving the well point all the way down. I would prefer the easier method. Easier on my back and shoulders.

RADAR

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
EZ-mud is a PHPA (Partially Hydrolized PolyAcrylamide) polymer. It is a long chain polymer that helps with filtration control. It thickens the water like snot! It will also coat clay formations to help keep them from swelling from water hydration. It comes in both a liquid form. EZ-mud and EZ-mud+. Plus is a more concentrated form. The liquid form will by ruined by freezing. The liquid from will also blind shale shakers. The dry form is EZ-mud Gold. It's tiny beads of product. It's not affected by freezing. It will pass thru shaker screens without blinding them. It's also about twice as expensive as plain EZ-mud. The polymer chain of PHPA polymers can be broken down by chlorine. So it makes well development much simpler. Under some conditions drilling fluid can be straight EZ-mud, with no bentonite.

Quik-troll is a PAC (Poly Anionic Cellulose) polymer. It is also a filtrate control product it helps to make a tough, thin filter cake. It also helps in gravely and sandy conditions.

My normal recipe for a batch of mud is:
600 gallons water
2 coffee cans of soda ash for ph control
3 or 4 sacks of Quik-gel depending on viscosity desired.
Let gel hydrate for 20 minutes before adding polymers
2 mud viscosity cups (1 qt cup) of EZ-mud gold
1 1/2 mud cups of Quik-troll.

I mix this in a separate premix tank, then add to my mud system as needed, with fully prepared and hydrated mud. On a small scale a 100 gallon water trough works.

The polymers are expensive, they double to triple the cost of the mud. But I feel they are with it

In HDD drilling, I use a one-sack mix that has the soda ash and polymers added. Instead of five to seven dollars for a fifty lb bag, it's fifteen to twenty dollars per bag.

Bentonite is a thixtropic fluid. Think of Ketchup. It is a liquid when moving. When stopped it becomes a gel and will suspend solids. That gel strength is an important property of a drilling fluid. The polymers are thickening and fluid loss control control agents, but don't add gel strength.

I was drilling a municipal well one time flooded reverse circulation. This is where we keep the hole flooded with plain water and bring the cuttings up thru the drill rod. I had 200 gpm makeup water available. I hit a formation that I couldn't keep full. I added 10 gallons of EZ-mud to the return water. I went from the hole taking over two hundred gpm to less than 5 gpm makeup water. After we set the screen and sand packed it, we chlorinated. It ended up producing over 2500 gpm.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Boyce,

You have provided a great deal of information for me to work with.
Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond to my post.

For a 20 to 30 foot well through loose, fine to medium sand and fine gravel with a little bit of clay, do you think I could get by without the EZ-Mud and the Quik-Troll? Could I use just the Quik-Gel, water (and add soda ash to raise the pH), alone?

I don't fret over the expense, but the less materials that I have to handle, the better.

If I can obtain the materials I need from the outfit in Grand Island, NE that would be great.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also just like wearing that EVIL, EVIL Halliburton hat, just to piss some people off.

Yes you should be able to use just Quik-gel. A fifty lb bag of soda ash is enough to treat a full 48 bag pallet of Quik-gel.

There's also the possibility you could get away with straight EZ-mud with no bentonite. The liquid comes in 5 gallon jugs.the well would develop out much easier.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I also just like wearing that EVIL, EVIL Halliburton hat, just to piss some people off.

Ha Ha! That is so much "ME" that I must thank you for this comment! As one of my mentors has often stated,
"If I cannot piss off or mess with someone's mind at least once today, my day has been wasted."!

But, no fears. I don't apply that policy when I am among friends and good folks who view the world as I do...
With an Archie Bunker / Clint Eastwood attitude! LOL

The Quik-Gel sounds like the stuff I shall use. And I know I won't need too much sodium carbonate. I can get that from Ace hardware (Arm & Hammer brand washing soda) in a 3lb box. This is the same thing and I won't have to buy a whole 50 lb bag of it that I may not ever use.

I'll get a bag or two of BEN-SEAL to grout the annular.

Thanks Boyce,

RADAR

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Does no one auger wells in your area? The ground you described seems perfect for augering. 30' could be drilled in less than an hour. My friend is a driller and we augered my well in this year. We set up, drilled 85', dropped in the screen and casing and cleaned up by lunch.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Ah no, I have that option too, green monster. My neighbor just 5oo feet away has all the professional drilling equipment. This is a DIY project of my own.

RADAR

Geoinohio

Reaction score
Hi all. This is an old thread, but hoping I might still be able to find some help. We are having geothermal installed at our house and the drillers are using Quik-Gel, as our soil is quite sandy (the property next door is a sand/gravel quarry). I don't know much about this stuff...it seems like some sort of bentonite clay with an added polymer. I'm curious how safe it is for us/our animals/our water (we're on a well). They've used a ton of it for drilling the six loops needed for our system. It's gotten all over our grass and gravel driveway (leaky hoses) and they've discharged waste water containing this material into a wooded area, so it's now a mess. Any info anyone here can provide is greatly appreciated. Seems like there's a lot of knowledge in this thread. Thank you!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hi all. This is an old thread, but hoping I might still be able to find some help. We are having geothermal installed at our house and the drillers are using Quik-Gel, as our soil is quite sandy (the property next door is a sand/gravel quarry). I don't know much about this stuff...it seems like some sort of bentonite clay with an added polymer. I'm curious how safe it is for us/our animals/our water (we're on a well). They've used a ton of it for drilling the six loops needed for our system. It's gotten all over our grass and gravel driveway (leaky hoses) and they've discharged waste water containing this material into a wooded area, so it's now a mess. Any info anyone here can provide is greatly appreciated. Seems like there's a lot of knowledge in this thread. Thank you!
Sorry for your problem. Quik gel is a mess but I don't think it will get into your water or be toxic. Should have been disposed of more carefully.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks