Difference between a single stage and multi-stage pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

catldavis

Reaction score
Looking at pumps and trying to decide between a single stage and multi-stage pump. I know the physical difference, but practically speaking is there preference? Is one more reliable than the other and is the additional cost worth it for the multi-stage?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It all depends on how deep it is to the water and how much water you need. Generally speaking the single stage pumps will not pump as much pressure and cannot suck the water from as deep a level. Also, generally multi-stage pumps have a backpressure regulator to keep the jet functioning at the maximum efficiency.

However if you are just pumping a little bit of water and the water level is high you might be able to get by.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
If your working on a existing system that has a multi stage you'll want to replace with the same. From experience taking off a 2 stage and putting a single stage in it's place doesn't work very well. No pun intended.
I've worked on many wells that the homeowner took off a vertical mounted multi stage and tried putting a horizontal single stage from Tractor supply. It doesn't work.
Although you can take off a single stage pump and replace it with a multi stage and it will work.
If you're still working on the same well you posted pictures of than I've already told you what you need. You can buy a sta rite pump online, delivered for around $550. I'm not sure the site name but a current customer of
Mine just got one. I'll ask him and let you know

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks