Diff between a boiler drain value and garden valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by LeeNat, Sep 10, 2019.

1. LeeNat

LeeNat New Member

Retired
    They look exactly alike but they are called different names. Is there a reason this is done?

2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet In the Trades

Sure. Who'd go looking for a "garden valve" to put at the bottom of their boiler? And
    who'd want to hook their garden hose up to a "boiler drain valve"? Not me!

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. LeeNat

LeeNat New Member

Retired
    Hmm, I was hoping to learn something Terry. Are you aware or know if there is an actual physical or construction difference?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Garden valve would have some other features that a boiler drain would lack, including a vacuum breaker.

I don't know the term garden valve. Lawn hydrant would include freeze resistant drain feature.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  6. LeeNat

LeeNat New Member

Retired
    Oh Ok. Well I guess I'd just go with the garden valve then as maybe the washing machine might need a valve
    with a vacuum breaker. Thanks so much!

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The washer doesn't need a vacuum breaker on it. A garden faucet would need the breaker to prevent siphon water from irrigation and hoses used for watering.

A boiler drain doesn't have a vacuum breaker and tend to output at a right angle while many faucets for garden hoses will have an angle away from the home. Any set rules on the angle thing though? Not sure.

8. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

A boiler drain is a valve that typically or historically would have been installed to drain a large volume of water quickly. They can open up so much in fact that you will notice a signifigant drop in water pressure in some homes. While i've never heard the term "garden valve" I would guess that is as others have guessed, a hose spigot for using to water lawns, wash cars etc.. those would typically be installed with a vacuum breaker to prevent any contaminants from being siphoned back into the drinking water. A yard hydrant is a valve that is typically free standing in a yard, has a vacuum breaker and has its frost free shut off and drain down below the frost line underground. We typically install these attached to a post and with a double check valve assembly since the drain that is connected to the valve is under ground and can become contaminated as well.

9. LeeNat

LeeNat New Member

Retired

Darn, that info was great. Really appreciate you taking the time to inform me.

10. LeeNat

LeeNat New Member

Retired

OK great thanks.