Dielectric union corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie A

Reaction score
I was looking at a thread from around 2015 where you showed a couple of great photos of the interior corrosion of a dielectric union. Our house water is sourced from a well that has hard water (we have a softener). Dielectric unions (and maybe galvanized pipe more generally) seems to be really vulnerable to the water. And I've pulled out a number of dielectric unions that almost close up as you've shown in those photos. Do you have any suggestions for the best way to pipe up to a water heater which will ultimately transition to copper piping where corrosion issues can be better avoided? It seems like anything involving galvanized fittings are vulnerable.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pipe nipples for water heaters are plastic lined. I use copper flex connectors on them all the time with no issues.
Otherwise, going from galv to copper, I use a six inch brass nipple. I haven't used the dielectric unions in decades.

Reach4

Reaction score
And I've pulled out a number of dielectric unions that almost close up as you've shown in those photos.
Orange/brown is rust corrosion. It can be made worse by IRB. White is hardness deposits left over from before you got the softener.

I suggest that you flush your WH. If you don't have filtering before the softener, I suggest you get that. A backwashing filter that gets rid of iron and H2S ("sulfur") is best. I would follow that with a big cartridge. I would at least use the cartridge for sediment including pebbles.

I suggest you sanitize your well and plumbing. That can knock down IRB and SRB. The better you do that, the longer the effect lasts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks