Did UPC relax on underground gas lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a job coming up and I know in 2000 UPC code 1211.4 underground gas lines got quite strict in regards to sch40 sleeve requirements under a slab out side covered walkways porches etc.. running PE with listed risers would be hard to accomplish incased in PVC conduit. I've done it with threaded pipe.
Any way I'm wondering if under a slab from outside house stub to a BBQ could still be questionable without being in a conduit .
Thanks for any comments guys!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Outside dwelling still has no special req's unless unusual loads are involved.
The sleeve reqs are in the case of under slabs of dwellings.
So, degree of enclosure of the walkway comes in to play. If open on the sides, I have never had inspectors with any issue with P.E.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We do this a lot. If you can get a deeper trench your better off and use a sleeve type adapter. It's basically a barb compression fitting with a protective sleeve. Use that to swoop up out of the ground.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a pretty serious issue on a school we piped at least 500 foot under walkways from building to building and none was sleeved in conduit it had a metal roof but other wise open and LA unified inspector brought it up after concrete was placed at that time . Company got away with it but I think it clearly violated code at that time
2000 code was in effect and " porches, steps, covered or uncovered , breezeways roofed porte-coaches, covered walks and driveways.
I think its ok just gotta verify no roof is going over this slab. I don't see this wording in current code nor in my earlier code book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks