Did my first re-bed, two questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveo1966

Reaction score
Did my first re-bed , 2 weeks ago, of a 1 cu. ft. system with Clack WS1 head in my rental property in Kitchener, ON - very hard water. This forum has been invaluable in getting me prepared! All went well, except for one rookie mistake I made, that I believe I have recovered from:) - see 2. below:

1. Is there a way to reset the "history" element of the Clack WS1 head, such as a factory reset or something. I do not want to erase the programming, but was thinking it would be nice to have the history reset to zero. For instance, "Regens since Startup", etc. What is the best practice here if this is even possible?
  2. The existing top basket was in rough shape, so when I purchased my new resin/gravel I got a new top basket as well. I am using Waterite 10% cross-linked resin. The existing system had gravel so I replaced with new gravel, added the resin, put everything back-together without issue. Started the system up OK, and it was maybe 45 min into the first regen and as I was cleaning up, I see the new top-basket sitting on the workbench -- Damn, in my haste I missed installing the new top basket even though I had removed the old. So, I immediately stopped the regen, put the system in bypass, talked to my supplier for some advice. During the regent, I was monitoring the waste water into the laundry sink and fortunately, there was no evidence of flushing any resin away.. tank has more than enough freeboard. So, following the advice I got, I let things settle about 20 min and proceeded to disassemble. Even though I used lots of MolyKote food grade lube, including where the riser tube meets the head, when removing the head very slowly and carefully, the riser tube still pulled out about 1 1/2" by the time they were separated. Damn again:(, as because of the gravel it is darn near impossible to fully re-seat the tube/bottom basket into the bottom channel. So, I dumped everything out into clean buckets, rinsed out the tank and proceeded to refill the tank .. the gravel had settled in the buckets, so I was able (to a certain extent) to get mostly gravel in first, followed by resin, mixed with some gravel and get everything back together with the riser tube/bottom basket nicely seated in the bottom channel, and the top basket installed this time:). I manually added water to the tank up to a few inches below the top, then re-installed the head and gave the tank some jostling as much as I could to help the gravel settle. I then re-connected everything and restarted the system as per normal process following a re-bed, and initiated a regen. Everything seems fine with the operation of the system and producing softened water. Just want to get some thoughts on this from experts out there, as in everything I have read, it sounds like the gravel should settle anyway through normal using, re-gens and backwashing.
Thanks in advance!

Bannerman

Reaction score
The gravel is heavier than the resin so the gravel will settle to the bottom during backwashing.

If your water source is a private well, recommended to add some unscented chlorine bleach to the brine tank and then initiate a regeneration cycle so as to sanitize the softener internals. If the water source is municipal, the water will be chlorinated so sanitation will occur unless a carbon filter preceeds the softener.

The recommended softener startup proceedure is as specified at this link: https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/36-37

Steveo1966

Reaction score
The gravel is heavier than the resin so the gravel will settle to the bottom during backwashing.

If your water source is a private well, recommended to add some unscented chlorine bleach to the brine tank and then initiate a regeneration cycle so as to sanitize the softener internals. If the water source is municipal, the water will be chlorinated so sanitation will occur unless a carbon filter preceeds the softener.

The recommended softener startup proceedure is as specified at this link: https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/36-37

Thank you, yes that is pretty much the startup procedure I followed. This system is municipal water, but just curious how much bleach you would suggest for a 1cu ft system? My other system in my primary residence is a 2 cu. ft system and will be re-bedding most likely this weekend. Any comment on the Clack WS1 reset?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks