Did I screw up a new outside faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

cma

Reaction score
Hello forum,

My brother-in-law was kind enough to install a new outside faucet a few weeks ago to replace one that was shot.

It work(ed) beautifully until a few minutes ago I went out to use it and decided to unscrew the (anti-syphon) cap on the top of the unit because I thought it was a second place to put a hose. I realized it wasn't and screwed it back on but now the water flows out from under the cap instead of coming out the hose. By the way I didn't know it was an anit-syphon device until I called my brother-in-law to see if he knew what to do to fix it. He doesn't. Did I kill a brand new faucet that he worked so hard to put in?

Please tell me it can be fixed and not have to be replaced again. The info off the hanle is Quatermaster NSF 61-9.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Connie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can find the parts that came off, you might be able to thread them back in.
If the parts are broken, contact the manufacturer, they may have replacement parts.

cma

Reaction score
Did I screw up new outside faucet.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I only unscrewed the cap and put it right back on. Could a part have dropped out? I didn't seem like I could have messed it up by just unscrewing it?

Connie

cma

Reaction score
Anti-syphon I found a part on the ground. Where

Hello again,

After your reply I looked around and I found a small part on the ground under the spigot. I think that it came out of the place where the hose goes because I had taken the hose off after I initially unscrewed the anti-syphon cap and turned on the water.

It is a small piece of plastic with a rubber washer on top. It has "teeth" on the other end.

Where does it go, and how do I put it back?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you can't figure it out you can always go down to big orange box and take one of theirs apart to see how it is supposed to go together...

They sell the quartermaster frost proof sillcocks....

cma

Reaction score
Where does the little piece go into anti-syphon?

Thank you both so much for your responses. I found a repair kit online and I think I've attached the pic. The piece that I found on the ground is the littlest one, except mine has a little black washer on the peg. It's on a website called Do it best.

It's just 3 pieces, the cap, a plastic/teflon threaded piece that sits in the faucet that the cap screws on to, and this little round piece with teeth on one end and a washer that sits on a little peg.

Logic tells me that it doesn't sit on top of the threaded plastic piece because putting it there won't allow the cap to seat. So it must go under (inside) of the threaded plastic piece. Can I pop off that piece and drop in the one with the washer and recap it? If so does it go teeth up or teeth down?
Being a female it would give me great satisfaction to be able to fix this myself.

Thanks again for your assistance,
cma

Attachments

• parts2 - Copy.jpg
    parts2 - Copy.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 429

cma

Reaction score
Anti syphon issue (more)

We are so close to fixing this mess I made.

The picture doesn't show an "o" ring but the piece I found on the ground does have a black o ring (I called it a washer in error in my earlier posting) on the nipple that you can see in the pic of the smallest piece.

So do I pop out the piece (the other one in the pic) and put the little one with the o-ring and teeth on it inside with the teeth down? Then put the piece I popped out back in and screw the cap on?

Thank you for your patience with my many questions and ignorance.

cma

cma

Reaction score
Mess I made - Sounds like I can fix it.

Redwood,

Thank you so much for confirming how it goes back in and which way the littlest piece goes.

It will be the first thing on my to-do list in the a.m.

Thanks for everyone's help,

CMA

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks