Did I pay too much for vinyl siding?

Users who are viewing this thread

CTWeekendWarrior

Reaction score
I just ordered some vertical "board and batten" style vinyl siding from a building supplier in north central CT. I was surprised when the bill came to $118/SQ. I have never bought siding before, but having said that this seems to be a high price. Did I get hosed, or does this sound like a reasonable price for siding material?

CTWeekendWarrior

Reaction score
I have tried to get prices from others in the area, but the only retailer who will sell to a homeowner is Home Depot or the supplier that I purchased from. HD only has horizontal siding, which isn't what I'm looking for. I don't know how things are in AZ, but here in CT it seems like siding distributors only will sell to you if you are a licensed contractor. I have been trying to locate someone who is willing to sell vertical siding to me for weeks now with little success. I was so happy that I found a way to get the siding, I ordered it. Now that I have had a chance to think it over I'm starting to wonder if I overpaid in my haste.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends

Looking at my notes for an addition we did last year for my in-laws, vinyl siding priced out anywhere from about $60 to $180 per square depending upon the thickness, style, and color.

Did you pay too much? Depends on the thickness, style, and color. What was the spec for the material you bought?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's $1.18 per square foot, which is in the mid-range for materials only, basd on this site:

http://www.esmarts.com/Siding/vinyl-siding-cost.html

As they point out, it's dependent on quality, thickness, finish, etc. -- some more detail at other sites, like

http://www.siding4u.com/vinyl-siding.php

where they talk about 5 standard thicknesses and recommend a brand. I'd guess you didn't get hosed, if you got a quality product. You could call around to other suppliers to get quotes and see how yours compares.

CTWeekendWarrior

Reaction score
Mikey, thanks for the web info. I feel better about my purchase now. I tend to freak out when I buy something without doing any research. Usually I am more prudent when it comes to selecting materials.

Now that I'm over that, I am curious what you all think about installing the siding over some rigid insulation. I see people in my neighborhood adding insulation to the exterior when they reside. I am planning on insulating my walls with R-19 in the cavity. Obviously, more is better, but also more expensive. Advice appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks