Did I measure the faucet inlet connector correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Arnav

Reaction score
Hi,

Did I measure the faucet inlet connector correctly?
That is, given the attached picture, I would need a supply valve with a 1/2" O.D. Compression Outlet right?

Thx!

Attachments

• compression outlet.jpg
    compression outlet.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 164

Arnav

Reaction score
I thought 3/8" is more popular so I wanted to double check. Out of curiosity, what makes this supply line 3/8" then? Where would you measure to see that?

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought 3/8" is more popular so I wanted to double check. Out of curiosity, what makes this supply line 3/8" then? Where would you measure to see that?
I think you are asking why it is called 3/8. Originally, the tube was 3/8 OD, and the nut squeezed a ferrule tight. Those are still available, and have their merits despite being a little more work. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?resources/non-flex-copper-supply-riser.23/ talks about using the metal tube.

The connector you posted a photo of is probably a rubber/plastic tube with a protective and decorative braid over the outside.

Arnav

Reaction score
5/8" OD compression valve is not the same as a 1/2" OD Compression valve right?
I am asking since I saw valves listed as "5/8" OD Comp (1/2 Nom. Pipe)"

Thx for the help

Reach4

Reaction score
5/8" OD compression valve is not the same as a 1/2" OD Compression valve right?
I am asking since I saw valves listed as "5/8" OD Comp (1/2 Nom. Pipe)"
We were basing our 3/8 compression on your digital caliper reading.

Usually a connection labeled 1/2 inch compression is for 1/2 inch copper pipe, rather than 1/2 OD. They sorta change at that point. So you have to be careful, as was the listing you just copied. "Nominal" means what we call it"

In the old days, ads would often say there was a nominal shipping charge. It took me a while to find out that meant that the shipping charge is whatever they say it is.

Arnav

Reaction score
This was a new question altogether. Apologies for the confusion. Let me try again

1. All good about the 3/8" for the outlet.

2. My next question is about the inlet for 1/2" copper pipe. I was looking for this Dahl 1/2" OD Comp X 3/8" OD Comp in the US and couldn't find it.
https://www.dahlvalve.com/products/mini-ball-valves/supply-stops/copper/supply-stops-611-32-31.php
I only found 1/2" FIP, sweat, etc'

I did see this Dahl one which is labeled "5/8" OD Comp (1/2 Nom. Pipe)" so wanted to make sure it is not some mere convention to designate 1/2" nominal OD and it would work on a regular 1/2" copper pipe just fine...
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Dahl-61...omp-Angle-Supply-Stop-Lead-Free-Chrome-Plated

Reach4

Reaction score
Dahl 611-33-31 looks right to me. https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/611-33-31-submittal.pdf

Note you will toss the output nut and ferrule, unless you want to venture into chrome plated brass, rather than flex.

I would use a little silicone grease on the tip of the output to help the seal seat better. I would use a little pipe dope on the ferrule and threads of the input. This allows you to use less torque. You will still be tightening it as hard as you can. It is hard to get enough torque with a pair of short wrenches IMNPO. (Non-Professional/Non-Plumber)

Last edited:

Arnav

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I ordered a few valves. Dahl and Supplyhouse confirmed this is the right valve for 1/2" copper as well.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes 5/8 inch od is for the copper coming out the wall 5/8 comp x3/8 comp anglestop!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks