Diaphragm well pressure tank troubleshooting

Users who are viewing this thread

Crystal Cook

Reaction score
I have a Champion CM10050 diaphragm well pressure tank. Yesterday morning the pressure started going up and down (I don't know the terms- sorry) when the water was used (sink, toilet, shower, dishwasher). The water is coming out cloudy today. Help!

Crystal Cook

Reaction score
My father drained the well and the hot water heater. The water is sputtering out (like there is pressure but no water) and the water is now rust colored!

Reach4

Reaction score
Well going dry would be one potential cause. I am not a pro.

Crystal Cook

Reaction score
So, today the water is almost back to normal (98% clear would be my guess), the pressure isn't coming and going either. On the flip side the PSI is reading 90 and the pressure is weaker than it use to be. We did have lightening strike the property a few weeks back. My dad seems to think it just created a clog of sorts.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would replace the pressure switch and/or the pressure gauge. 90 PSI should not happen.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah you need a new gauge. 90 PSI doesn't sound right. It could mean you pump is not shutting off, which is why the pressure isn't "coming and going".

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
PSI is reading 90 and the pressure is weaker than it use to be...

If the pressure is weaker and doesn't fluctuate, then you may have a leak. Obviously, the gauge cannot be trusted. A quick check of the air pressure on the bladder will tell you.

Reach4

Reaction score
LLigetfa is referring to the fact that the air pressure in the pressure tank will pretty much match the water pressure if the tank is not empty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks