Diameter of pipes in shallow well w 2 pipe jet pump? (# Gallons to prime?)

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Neighbor lost his prime, so I hooked up a doner hose. Took FOREVER to fill.
Want to calculate how many gallons were needed. Its 60-70 feet deep, and I have to fill both pipes?

What's the optimum way to get the air out? Once I figured it was full, I valved off the intake (doner hose & upper house) and ran the pump a little, then cracked the bleed valve on top (plastic globe valve) to get bubbles (not spurting water) until it seemed to stop. Repeat...

HighPointFarms

Reaction score
Depending on the sizes of the pipes going down the case. Here is a chart that shows gallons per foot for different pipe.

Hope this helped.

Attachments

• F1D1E25E-33B9-49DC-A9C9-1FB50BCA1DDA.jpeg
    F1D1E25E-33B9-49DC-A9C9-1FB50BCA1DDA.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 223

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If this is a jet pump, losing the prime may have been be caused by an open foot valve.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Thanks for the chart. I was hoping a standard dia pipe was used in the well casing.
Could the vertical well pipe size be determined from the diameter of the two black plastic horizontal jet pump pipes going into the wall ?

Really hoping its not the foot valve or anything in the casing, since digging up his yard is an expensive PIA. Mine is 6' deep, his is also below ground.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Worth says you probably have a bad foot valve. It could also be a hole in the pipe or bad leathers on the ejector. Either way if you are losing prime the pipe will probably need to be pulled from the well to figure out and fix the problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Really hoping its not the foot valve or anything in the casing, since digging up his yard is an expensive PIA. Mine is 6' deep, his is also below ground.
What diameter is your casing? 2-inch?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks