Diagnosing sump pump and drainage issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulsiu

Reaction score
In the 8 years I lived in the house, the sump pump has failed to keep up 3 times. The issue tends to occur during times of heavy rain where I have notice that water coming in as faster than what the pump can pump out. The pump would run continuously as the pool slowly fills up. This only seems to happen when there is heavy rain storm and not when the snow is melting.

Under normal rainfall, the sump pump goes off only periodically. The problem only manifest if there is heavy rain for a few hours. The problem occurs when the rain gutter gets clogged because I am surrounded by trees. I have been pretty good at keeping the gutters clean, but sometimes there is a lot of leaves in a short period of time and I couldn't get to it between the rainstorms. Sometimes one of the second floor gutter gets clog and I have to employe someone to clear it because I can't reach it with a ladder.

The house is about 1500 square feet with steep roofs. It has a standard 18x24 basin. I do not know the total head, so I am assuming it's the standard 10 feet since the basin is in the basement and the discharge is right outside on the ground level. The discharges goes to a drainage pipe that outputs to the yard that runs downhill so water isn't going back to the house. I have Hydromatic DA-1 10 1/3 hp for primary and a Zoellar 507 as backup. The DA-10 is rated at 38 GPM at 10 feet and Zoellar 507 is rated at 15 gpm at 10 feet.

Is the main issue due to the rain gutter clogging then? Should I replace the pumps with a higher capacity unit such as a Zoellar M98 which rates at around 61 GPM at 10 feet in the event that the gutter clog or would that cause short cycling?

Update:
I just tried timing the time it takes to pump out the water. I dumped in 5 gallon of water, which is still below the inlet. 5 Gallon is enough pressure to trigger the main pump. The water was pumped out in about 20 seconds.

5 gallon / 20s = 0.25 gallon per second or 15 gpm, which seems low for the pump. Do pump lose their pumping capacity as they age. The pump appears to be 8 years old.

Update2:
15 gpm is the pumping rate for the Zoeller 507 backup. As an experiment, I dumped 4 gallon of water into the empty well and trigger the 507 manually. It did pump at 15 gpm. I must have dumped water on the triggering mech and set off the backup.

I disconnected the backup pump and dump water in until the primary pump triggered, which was at 8 gallon. It took about 20 seconds to pump, which works out to be 8 gal / 20 sec = 0.4 gps or 24 gpm, which is better than 15 gpm, but still below the rated capacity of the primary pump.

Paul

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sump pumps are more commonly worked on by plumbers. Water well and fresh water booster pumps are a completely different animal. But from just any pumps point of view, you either need to decrease the inflow or increase the outflow.

zoeller-m53-2.jpg

Zoeller M53 1/3 HP pump
photo added by Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you need some drainage work around the home/property. . Which where my PhD* comes to play.

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Thanks for replying, can you please elaborate. When the rain gutter isn't clog, the sump pump doesn't work very hard even with heavy rain. When the rain gutters are clogged, the rain goes over the side of the gutter and pool around the house. It is a lot of water, it's like a sheet of water going over the side. Which part of drainage should I be working on? Is the sump pump supposed to be handle the flow of water even when the rain gutters are clogged?

We should probably install some sort of gutter guard. I have been told that even with the guard, the gutter may get clog, just not as often. Is it appropriate to ask about gutters in a pluming forum?

Getting back to the sump pump, the primary sump pump Hydromatic DA-1 10's spec sheet said it has a pumping capacity of 38 gpm at 10 feet. The Zoeller 507 pumps at the rate specified. What could be the cause of the reduction in pumping capacity? Is it because that it's old or is there some sort of obstruction.

Paul

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't recall ever doing a sump pump, but I've done bunches of sewage ejector pumps.
I usually install Zoeller 1/2 horse pumps, with 2" discharge pipe. It'll suck the bottom out of the tank in 10 seconds. So, to me, 20 seconds to pump 5 gallons seems wimpy.
I go to a basement bathroom and turn on the tub, the lavatory, and flush the toilet three times and the Zoeller cycles on for maybe ten seconds to empty the inflow.
Might be time to kick it up a notch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks