Dewinterizing foreclosed condo unit, funky/no water pressure!?

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbobobbo

Reaction score
Recently purchased a foreclosed condo unit. The bank had it winterized in March. These are very nice units, built in 1990.

I dewinterized properly, made sure all valves were shut then slowly opened the water main (there is confirmed only 1) for my unit. I listened to it slowly fill and opened the water heater valves as well.

I opened each sink/tub shortly after. Yet it's acting quite odd... there are 2 baths. The first bath, the sink has full pressure, until you turn on the shower/tub, which is weak to begin with. The second bathroom has minimal pressure at the sinks but the tub has full pressure always. The kitchen has a light dribble with a gurgling sound and the toilets barely fill.

I'm lost... there is only one main and it is open. I hope nothing serious has occurred.. it was working before it was winterized.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you turn the supply line to the water heater on? A modern shower valve should actually not work at all if there's only one supply pressurized.

The main valve could be a gate valve (is it a multi-turn or a ball valve?) and on a gate valve, the handle shaft can break at the gate, and not actually pull the gate up to open the valve for full flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks