[Desperate for help] Is there no way to save my bathroom sink anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

brianipmh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My bathroom sink fell the other day (wall mounted) and I've been struggling to think of a way to mount it back. One of the pipe broke and my handyman is claiming that I will need to buy an entire new sink as there's no fix. I really can't do this because I can't afford a new one in this economy
upload_2020-6-6_13-5-9.gif

The sink is an ikea sink and the pipe that broke is in yellow. I can't get the spare part from ikea or eBay but are there any substitutes that can help? Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you guys so much.

Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/rattviken-sink__AA-908095-5_pub.pdf
Sink: HEMNES / RÄTTVIKEN Sink cabinet with 2 drawers, gray, 32 1/4x19 1/4x35" - IKEA

Pictures:

ikea-brian-1.jpg

ikea-brian-2.jpg

ikea-brian-3.jpg

ikea-brian-4.jpg

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Is the overflow a separate pipe as in the docs or integral to the sink base? If separate pipe you'll need the original version.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ikea drain is needed because of the overflow connection.
However, perhaps a dishwasher inlet fitting for 7/8" hose may work.

ikea-p-trap.jpg

sink-single.jpg

Dishwasher inlet fitting.

Last edited:

brianipmh

Reaction score
Looks like you can use any bathroom sink drain where most are 2". You'll need to reposition the trap some but it should work. If you want to keep the faucet you'll need a drain kit without a sink stop lever.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VIGO-VI...nting-Ring-In-Matte-Black-VG07000MB/205613550

Should I buy something like this to reposition the trap?
https://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Universal-Drain-Bathroom-Sinks/dp/B014FULKKO

And why am I buying a bathroom sink drain if my pipe is broken? Sorry my plumbing knowledge is close to zero.

brianipmh

Reaction score
The Ikea drain is needed because of the overflow connection.
However, perhaps a dishwasher inlet fitting for 7/8" hose may work.

ikea-p-trap.jpg

sink-single.jpg

Dishwasher inlet fitting.

Hi Terry. Where does the inlet fitting go? Is it the black pipe that is connected to the tailpiece?
ypcZMWh

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
put any drain on there if it needs a hose for overflow then put a y branch tail piece.
The problem is the budget . and getting someone to help you do the work. I guess if thats Ikea check with them , some of this stuff can get shipped so fast (no experiance dealing with them) Good Luck!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I could fix it. It sounds like you are in capable so I dont see how to teach you to teach your incapable handyman how to fix it. Either he wont or cant fix it. Sometimes it comes down to money Whoever fixes it is going to want something to fix it. .
Find someone that knows what they are doing and charges fair is my advice

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Standard drain would probably block the drawers, but there are some that might work. You'd probably have get some parts and try to improvise. I'm surprised ikea can't supply a replacement. The repair would save money vs replacement in my opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks