Designing a combination waste and vent system, does this violate code?

Users who are viewing this thread

justinNY

Reaction score
Designing a combo W&V for an island sink. Island loop won’t really work in my case, so I’m hoping I can make this work

here’s the design:

justinny-01.jpg

Code says

The combination waste and vent system shall be provided with a dry vent connected at any point within the system or the system shall connect to a horizontal drain that serves vented fixtures located on the same floor. Combination waste and vent systems connecting to building drains receiving only the discharge from one or more stacks shall be provided with a dry vent. The vent connection to the combination waste and vent pipe shall extend vertically to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood level rim of the highest fixture being vented before offsetting horizontally.

I think this is ok, however since I extend the 3" pipe out from the drain in order to run the vent through an open wall, would that be considered a horizontal offset?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
This is my island sink, use an AAV.

Are air admittance valves legal in New York State?
(a) Where permitted. The use of air admittance valves in lieu of providing a vent stack through the roof shall be permitted in dwellings three stories or less in height. An individual vent pipe, branch vent, vent stack or stack vent shall be permitted to terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve.

upload_2021-4-13_8-39-20.jpeg

justinNY

Reaction score
This is my island sink, use an AAV.

Are air admittance valves legal in New York State?
(a) Where permitted. The use of air admittance valves in lieu of providing a vent stack through the roof shall be permitted in dwellings three stories or less in height. An individual vent pipe, branch vent, vent stack or stack vent shall be permitted to terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve.

View attachment 72944

AAV is my last resort, but if i can get this done without mechanical parts, that would be my preference.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Justin, the way you propose in the image is a poor choice . wont meet code either. I don't like AAV's but it would be a far better choice

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think this is ok, however since I extend the 3" pipe out from the drain in order to run the vent through an open wall, would that be considered a horizontal offset?
Yes, that would not be allowed, assuming the only source of drainage in your drawing is the kitchen sink. Dry vent takeoffs need to be vertical and stay vertical to 6" above the flood rim level.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
island_sink_bert_polk.jpg

I have installed these for kitchen sinks.

And an AAV works well too. They make very good ones in several brands. It's pretty much all you see on Islands now where I'm at.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep that's how we do it like Terry showed however op claims island vent not an option, so I take his word on it.
My folks live in Florida and have built 3 high dollar homes in Palm Coast. Their plumber and others on all the construction I've walked make no or little effort for proper venting and just put an AAV in areas with any difficulty or inconvenience.
AAV is the easy way out and I won't argue in many cases a good solution. but not as good or equal to a real vent.
If that's your only way and proper depth isn't available for the island vent . then I'd likely run with AAV

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks