Demand Water Heaters/ DWH/

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
In hard water a softener will prevent deposits from building up.

If they don't have a softner they deal with the energy loss, not lower flow or lower heat, until they need a replacement. I would guess With tankless the problems crop up much faster and more often with a much higher cost.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
They're death traps

I damn near killed myself in a shower in Nicaragua a few years back. I guess I should have been suspicious when I saw the 220V tankless water heater a couple inches above the shower and the twisted-together 2-wire circuit (Ground? We don't need no steenking ground!) serving it. Hopefully UL-aware manufacturers and NEC-aware installers will minimize such risks here in the US of A.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
GoingTankless said:
Gary, since your the water expert......i'm listening. What is it that you would recommend.

I would like to give my customers the best system I can. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm not into water heater sales, or service but... 40+ years ago I was in the UK and Europe for a few years and questioned why the US used (impractical) tank type water heaters. I've also read about tankless since then and believe in the concept and the customer benefits. I sell water treatment equipment all over the US and more and more customers have tankless water heaters. As with anything, such as a water softener or tank type water heater, it has to be sized and installed correctly to work satisfactorily. With tankless or domestic coil type water heaters, the selection of potable water line material etc., the water quality must be taken into consideration or there are more problems created than are solved.

I say that plumbers should be involved in water quality issues and far too many are not. When it comes to sewage and world health they all say they are but not as to the water quality coming out of the new water line they just installed... They tend to lose business because they aren't involved in water quality issues. Until they do get into them, I think they should stay with tank type water heaters. That way they don't harm their customers by selling them something that is impacted to a greater extent by poor water quality.

You are involved with local water quality issues and obviously know how they impact negatively on your tankless water heaters. I suggest that if you aren't already, you do a water analysis before/as you propose a tankless water heater. And sell/install a correctly sized water softener in those buildings that have more than 3-4 gpg of hardness in the water. It's the ONLY right thing to do for all your customers. Doing so protects the tankless, allows it to operate at maximum efficiency and limits maintenance needs and their associated costs AND that sells more tankless water heaters FOR YOU due to word of mouth advertising.

I don't like the idea of annual maintenance contracts and their cost to the homeowner but they are great for prospecting and reducing costs of acquiring new work. Draining a water heater every so often does nothing to prevent the problems with water hardness scale build up in the water heater; you have to remove the scale and only an acid will do that BUT... that only treats the symptom of the problem, not the cause. And hard water kills more appliances and makes life difficult in many other areas than heating water. So you'd be doing your customers a great benefit overall if you get into water quality issues for all of them, not just a potential water heater customer.

Getting into water quality and treatment is not easy without proper support and education. And believe me, most supply house folks are quite lacking in most cases. They disseminate what they have been told by those wanting to sell them equipment (factory reps) which in most cases is the least expensive (read most profitable to them) as opposed to being higher quality. At least that's my experience with supply houses here over the last 20 years; such as the one across the road from me.

GoingTankless

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.goingtankless.com
Water Quality

Thanks for your response Gary...........I am concerned with the quality of water that my customers have and I do sell them on systems that will better the quality of their drinking water and life of their appliances.

We all know that the internet is filled with so many quick fixes and systems that just don't work. I am trying to find the best system I can sell to my customers and also a system I can stand behind.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
a true tankless water heater

l ...something like that will probably get you killed,

but its probably the best functioning tankless water heater you can

make.....that will work properly well....

Look at all the handy features.....

only one faucet----so their is loooooow demand....
so their is plenty of endless hot water

ease of installatioin..... just nail it with some spikes on the shower wall......

install a few quick connects to it....
the orange one must be incomming "hot"

and its so easy to wire up with 220 V

adjustable hand held sprayer......

man you just cant beat this ....LOL

what brand is that anyway???

http://www.inspectionnews.com/insite/BB/plumbing/bb-plumbing-pics-frame.html

aco.jpg

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
That's IT!

I'd love to know where that picture was taken. Sure looks familiar, although the hand-held sprayer was on a flexible metallic hose as I remember, and the tile is too clean. The giant spiders are missing as well.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
A flashback indeed

I nearly got flashed a looong way back. That inspectionnews Website is interesting; another way to spend time I don't have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks