Delta tub spout troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

Kelin Ashley

Reaction score
Let me start by saying my plumbing skills are very limited. I just had my tub refinished, and I'd rather not risk having a plumber potentially drop a tool or bang into a wall if I can help it. My house was built in 1974, and I guess hard water the reason the diverters keep failing on my tub spouts (they've been the cheap Danco ones from Lowe's). This time around I really wanted to find something that would last, but I feel like I'm limited because the pipe sticking out of the wall is only 1/2" long. So anyway, I bought the Delta spout with the pull down diverter that came with the brass adapter, but the adapter won't screw onto the pipe coming out of the wall. What am I doing wrong?
F6cFTFFov37VPRAe6
this is as far as it will go

20191211_130926.jpg
20191211_123637.jpg

Kelin Ashley

Reaction score
I read the instructions, and I've read a bunch of posts on this forum about the Delta adapter. Am I missing something obvious? The adapter won't screw on past the first two threads on the pipe - my assumption was that it needed to go further in order to seal properly, but my husband thinks it's sufficient.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe use pipe dope and PTFE both to minimize the chance of leaking with such low thread engagement.

Your nipple is a bit shorter than 1/2 from the surface of the wall, maybe?

Kelin Ashley

Reaction score
It's actually a little more than 1/2" out from the wall. There are more threads on there, but the adapter will not move any further.

tub-spout-adapter-terrylove-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
It's actually a little more than 1/2" out from the wall. There are more threads on there, but the adapter will not move any further.
I think I would try to restrict the showerhead output as a test. Some handheld shower have shutoff positions. Turn on the shower. Block the water. Watch for leaks outside of the tub. During heating season the air is drier, so any leaks would dry quicker.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
use a wire brush on the threads. They are corroded so the adapter does not screw on properly. OR, do it the right way and replace that steel pipe with a brass nipple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks