Delta Tub Spout Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Rroellig

Reaction score
Need repair/removal advice. This is a Delta tub spout circa 2008, installed by the builder when the house was constructed. It appears to be leaking at a threaded connection behind the fiberglass shower wall. I can see Teflon tape, so I believe the copper stub is threaded into a drop ear 90. I can’t get the plastic barrel off the copper stub out to see the leaking threaded connection. I also can’t get the copper stub to loosen. I sprayed some PB Blaster where I thought the copper stub threaded into the drop ear 90. No luck. Any further wrenching onto the copper stub will destroy it. How the heck to get it loose. Supply house guys said it’s got to come out and to go back with brass stub. Here’s some pics.

62C1EF92-115F-4090-8326-72C32BE46ABB.jpeg
0F30B4A6-9A06-406B-870C-1F8EC32E73A5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stick an internal pipe wrench inside of it. That will keep it from crushing if not just work at getting it off. Don't be afraid to destroy it.

Reach4

Reaction score
The leak may not be inside the wall. It would be hard to distinguish.

I wonder if a hot knife could let you remove that white adapter without damaging the copper. Depends on the plastic.

A test would be to put a Sharkbite U514LF cap on the end of the copper. An easier test would be to just block the end of the end of the copper with your thumb. Run the water. Does water only come out of the showerhead without leaking into the wall?

Rroellig

Reaction score
Stick an internal pipe wrench inside of it. That will keep it from crushing if not just work at getting it off. Don't be afraid to destroy it.
Thanks,
The leak may not be inside the wall. It would be hard to distinguish.

I wonder if a hot knife could let you remove that white adapter without damaging the copper. Depends on the plastic.

A test would be to put a Sharkbite U514LF cap on the end of the copper. An easier test would be to just block the end of the end of the copper with your thumb. Run the water. Does water only come out of the showerhead without leaking into the wall?
It is leaking behind that white plastic adapter. I put my thumb over the pipe end. I can see Teflon tape under the plastic adapter so I’m guessing and hoping the copper stub is threaded into a drop ear. I’m thinking of using a dremel to cut the plastic adapter loose, then either an internal pipe wrench (as another suggested) or perhaps I’ll be able to get a socket over the fitting?

MrLeo

Leo
Reaction score
I think you can add a seal to the end of the spout. But not sure if the thickness meets the requirements.

Spout-Seal-01.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks