Delta tub spout install help

Users who are viewing this thread

Pilotguy

Reaction score
Ive installed a handful of tub spouts, most are easy. I bought a new trim kit for my bathroom remodel and I’m having trouble understanding how this is suppose to go on the copper stub out. I’m going to attach pictures so you all can understand what I am talking about.
The model is: T17T499-BL

any advice would be great

D3014077-E5BD-4C4A-BB77-A6CEEF9C07A2.jpeg

9D4D95F1-7888-431A-9DEA-3F3DD08EAE14.jpeg

EE538E57-DCC5-46B0-A74B-6B504AA8A7D8.jpeg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are at least several ways to attach a tub spout for a tub. The one you pictured is designed to thread onto a pipe fitting, nominally, a threaded pipe nipple or a threaded fitting soldered to the pipe. Seems the one you took off was a 'push-on' type that used O-rings to seal, and a setscrew to hold it in place. You either need to buy a different version of tub spout, or modify the pipe sticking out of the wall. It looks like the spout is designed for the fitting to be fairly tight to the wall, and there may not be enough room to cut the pipe and solder on a threaded fitting. In the same style spout, Delta probably makes one that would fit with the pipe you have sticking out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
See if that brass part unscrews from the spout. It may be the adapter that can either be screwed to an iron pipe fitting, or soldered to the pipe. If it is the adapter, it should not take much of any force to remove it. If it is, you'd cut the pipe the specified length, and then solder that adapter to it so it is positioned per the instructions.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Can you take out that adapter/fitting with the threads and provide a photo or two? My guess is you can either sweat it on, or sweat on a male adapter and screw it on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Delta instructions for that trim has this.

delta-tub-spout-installation-2.jpg

It looks like you're going with threaded nipple for that spout, as it certainly is not the slip spout installation there. B-2

Bannerman

Reaction score
When I installed a similar spout in my bath, I hand tightened the MIPS to sweat adaptor into the spout and slid the fitting and spout onto the long copper stub-out. This allowed the actual distance between the tile and spout to be measured to determine the specific amount of the copper pipe to cut off.

After soldering the threaded adaptor onto the remaining stub-out, the spout was threaded onto the adaptor with no gap between the spout and tile. As the spout could then be further tightened onto the adaptor a little more than my initial hand tighten, caused some slight tension on the eared elbow within the wall which ensures the spout will remain tight to the tile. Caulking around the spout further increased the securness of the spout.

On my spout, the threaded connection was slightly farther into the spout which allowed sufficient space for the adaptor to be installed in front of the tile.

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Delta instructions for that trim has this.

delta-tub-spout-installation-2.jpg

It looks like you're going with threaded nipple for that spout, as it certainly is not the slip spout installation there. B-2

Terry, are you sure this isn't the easy-on universal tub spout shown in B-3 and B-4 on the next page?

59009-fc47991c3c3bba981481950ab4d3410e.jpg

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-15 130138.jpg
    Annotation 2020-06-15 130138.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 182

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks