Delta single handle kitchen sink sprayer diverter valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Giwatcher

Reaction score
I have a 30 yo delta single handle kitchen sink sprayer and have just done a routine parts replacement for a dripping spout. I am curious if the diverter valve for the sprayer, not part of the kit, is the same part for delta single handle kitchen sink sprayer regardless of the age of the faucet. I don't want to disassemble and take the part to a supply store unless I have no choice. I am also curious about the fact that my spout still flows when the spray handle is pressed, so that to use the sprayer the faucet has to be turned up pretty high. This has always been this way, not just recently, and I thought it was normal, but a plumber said no. Anyone know if older faucets didn't shut off the spout like the newer ones do, or have I always needed a diverter replacement?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The working diverter ALWAYS turns, and turned, off the flow from the spout. That is its only purpose, so if it does not function, the water will flow from the sprayer and the spout. Your faucet has the only diverter Delta ever used, at least when yours was made.

Last edited:

Giwatcher

Reaction score
The working diverter ALWAYS turns, and turned, off the flow from the spout. That is its only purpose, so if it does not function, the water will flow from the sprayer and the spout. Your faucet has the only diverter Delta ever used, at least when yours was made.
Thank you. That's helpful, and I have a diverter valve in hand to replace. Would you mind telling me if you believe the malfunctioning valve would cause the NEW sprayer head to drip after it has been used and turned off? Also, if I unscrew the new sprayer head, water then drips from the spout, even though there is no spout drip with normal faucet usage since I replaced the springs, seats, gaskets, etc with a full rebuild kit. It's as if a bad diverter valve allows various backwards pressure to create drips?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The diverter is only "closed" when you are using the sprayer. Other times it is completely open and water could flow either way, but NOT build up a "back pressure". But if you have a "soft hose" the faucet pressure to the sprayer could "expand" it and then the extra water WOULD flow back to the faucet when it was turned off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks