Delta shower valve leak, Delta RP19804

Users who are viewing this thread

mateojimmy

Reaction score
I have a Delta shower head that continues to leak. The whole shower was installed 3 +- 1yr (new house construction). I pulled the shower head off, left it off for a while, and realized that it continued to drip. I therefore assume the problem lies in the valve (or a gasket). I turned off the water and tried to pull the valve apart, but didn't want to destroy anything so I stopped when it required a bit of force. I've got some pics, but my question is what part do I need to fix the leak? And ultimately, how do I fix it?

P.S. I've never used this site before...Let me know if my link doesn't work for my pictures. I can find another way to post them.

mateojimmy

Reaction score
Here's a couple of the pics (hopefully). This should help explain the type of valve it is.

monitor-delta-01.jpg

monitor-delta-02.jpg

monitor-delta-03.jpg

mateojimmy

Reaction score
Alright 3 of 4...not bad....here's the last one I tried to post.

monitor-delta-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cartridge needs to be pulled and the seats and springs replaced. This is normal maintenance on a Delta.

delta-1300-1400-cartridge-01.jpg

delta-1300-1400-cartridge-02.jpg

delta-1300-1400-cartridge-03.jpg

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
BTW, the brass bonnet unscrews counter-clockwise in order to get to the "innards." Take the seat and springs with you but there are repair kits just for Delta.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
DElta

I replace the entire cartridge rather than mess with the internal seats and springs. This also renews the pressure balance unit before it can start to malfunction.

delta-cheat-sheet.jpg

mateojimmy

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! This is a load off. Quick follow up questions... Do I need any tools for the cartridge removal or does it just pull out (after the brass ring is unscrewed)? And would Home Depot or Menard's have one of these kits?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cartridge

HD has it and it just pulls out. Check which way it is inserted so you can install the new one the same way, or you will have the hot and cold sides reversed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The new cartridge ( Delta RP19804) will have a slightly different design on the hot limit stop. It IS the right part for your shower. Delta just redesigned it, but it does work on all 1300 models before 2005.

rp19804-terrylove-02.jpg

mateojimmy

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you again for all your help. I went to Home Depot and got the spring/gasket repair kit. It was only $4 vs $54 for the cartridge. I replaced it and put it all back together... and no more leak! Thank you again!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks