Delta Shower Valve/Diverter Replacement Advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr.Wolf

Reaction score
IMG_4918.jpg
IMG_4920.jpg
IMG_4932.png

Hello, new here, and I require some assistance, you fine lovely lads and ladies.

I have the Delta 600 Shower, and there is a leakith, and thus I need replace-ith. I tried to use the JB Weld 8277 Waterweld, which didn't ultimately work. So I have to do the most annoying way.
If you can, make sure I got all the steps correctly.
And if you could advise what I should get to replace the Delta 600 shower, it would be much appreciated; thank you, you sexy humans.

1.) So, I would remove six tiles.
2.) Remove a portion of the mold-resistant concrete drywall behind the tiles and the vapor barrier behind that.
3.) ( shut off the water) I would get flame retardant sheets put them around the pipes where I will use the blowtorch to remove the soldering to take out the shower valve/diverter.
4.) Sand down part of the old pipes and newer shower valve to where they will connect; wax on, wax off.
5.) Use the wire brush and get it in there on the old pipes and the new shower valve pipes.
6.) Add the Lead-Free Flux inside and outside the new and old piping all good like.
7.) Connect the new shower valve, slip it right inside very very very smooth and slow.
8.) Get the blowtorch and scorch it up; use the soldering on all points of entry.
9.) Let it cool for a bit and use a wet rag, extra extra moist like, to rub-down the area of the soldered spots gracefully.
10.) Add the cartridge or equivalent to the new shower valve.
11.) Turn the water on and hope to God it works.
12.) If I haven't drowned, I replace the vapor barrier I cut and the mold-resistant concrete wall.
13.) Use cement on the new mold-resistant wall in connecting to the old mold-resistant wall.
14.) Then, Add cement onto the new wall to place tiles (use separators).
15.) Use tile grout.
16.) Then End?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If you are not well experienced at cutting tubing and soldering, I do not recommend any non-plumber doing this project.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Thou hast committed the unpardonable sin of twisting the valve body. even FEW plumbers know how to repair this problem so replacement is the most likely solution. GOOD plumbers can replace it without damaging the wall or burning the houses down.

Mr.Wolf

Reaction score
I have removeth Delta valves before that were in despair. I tend to replace with Moen Posi-Temp and the TL2368EP trims. It allows for a bigger cut in the wall.

delta_shower_old.jpg

Did you use a Moen 2520 Posi-Temp Pressure Balancing Shower Rough-In Valve to replace the delta shower valve?
I also have a tub spout/faucet so the Moen Posi-Temp and the TL2368EP trims will still activate the stub spout right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the Moen valve, the tub spout would need to be changed to one with a diverter.
The Moen 2520 is without stops. The one above with stops was installed in a eight unit condo.

Muchtoohard

Reaction score
Are there any shower valves with an integrated diverter? My old 600 series has the push button diverter and the valve needs to be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks