Delta shower rough, I need some guidance

Users who are viewing this thread

Midwest Girl

Reaction score
I have had an extremely rough time having my master bathroom renovated. I’ve received help from pros over at John Bridge Forum re: shower construction and tile installation - however, I have a few questions re: plumbing.

I’ve purchased a few Delta trim kits + rough-in valves - and need to know if they are the ones I need. I decided to go with Delta based upon several threads that I read on this forum. I currently am trying to find a new contractor - and I’d like to have the correct items so they can be installed as soon as possible.

My former contractor decided to leave after I questioned him about using mastic to install my 3x9 Carrara wall tiles. Right before he began installing the tile, I again confirmed that he would be using white thin set mortar - and he said yes (I purchased three bags for him). I was recovering from surgery - and went over to my neighbors while he was working - when I came home, he had completed one wall (11’ ceiling) - and that’s when I saw a tub of Omnigrip next to the shower.

Anyway - I need to confirm whether he told me to purchase the correct items to complete my shower + freestanding tub.

This is what I’ve purchased:

For shower:
Delta R10000 UNBXHF - for one shower head + Delta Ara 17T mixing valve

delta_multichoice.jpg

Delta R22000 integrated diverter - for a rain shower head + hand held shower head + Delta Ara 17T mixing valve w integrated diverter (3 way).

delta-multichoice-diverter.jpg

I think the above is correct?

I actually purchased two integrated diverters - one with stops and one without stops. I initially purchased the one without stops, but then found out there were ones with stops - so, I purchased it also. I assume that it’s better to have the stops in case something happens later so I won’t have to turn off the water supply to my entire house. I was told that the one with stops reduces the water pressure by 8-10% - I don’t know if that’s true - or if it will make a huge difference.

I also have two of the R100000 UNBXHF rough-in valves because I didn’t realize that there were mixing valves with integrated diverters when I made my initial purchase - and I liked the idea of not having a separate diverter on the shower wall. I also initially purchased two of the Delta Ara 17T mixing valves.

For freestanding tub:

I initially purchased a floor mount tub filler + hand held shower head. After the tub arrived, my contractor asked if I would rather use a wall mounted faucet - he thought it would look better considering the space where the tub was being set. I like wall mounted fixtures - so, I agreed. This is where my confusion begins.

My former contractor said that we could use either my extra Delta R22000 valve for the tub + hand held shower head. I wasn’t sure that was correct. I read a review on Amazon where someone asked this very question, and the Delta rep stated that if it was used, it would reduce the flow rate for the tub spout by 1 GPM. Another customer stated that he had used this valve this way and that it worked just fine.

Obviously, I was confused, so I called Delta. Twice. Both times I was told that I could use the R22000 valve for a tub spout + hand held shower head. However, the customer reps that I spoke with, did not make me feel very confident in their answers based upon other things they told me.

I would really appreciate if someone would let me know what the right answer is. I am hiring a licensed plumber- but I just want to have all of the parts here once I find someone.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On the Delta site for the R22000
  • Not recommended for tub installation
They do refer to it as a shower diverter rough.

r220000-flow-rate.jpg

I looked for a flow rate chart on the R10000 and couldn't find one.
7.2 GPF for the 17T and 60 PSI didn't look bad though.

I did find this chart.

Delta-flow-rates.jpg

Last edited:

Midwest Girl

Reaction score
Terry - thanks for posting those charts.

I have decided to replace the tile surround in another bathroom while the contractor is here working on my master bathroom. While the current valve/trim is working fine, it was installed in 1996 (and is not a brand I recognize - it’s a builder’s grade valve + trim). I think it makes sense to replace that valve while the wall is open. Also, It seems to make sense to raise the height of the shower head at the same time.

My understanding is that regardless of what the gpm is at the valve, a shower head will limit the number of gpm that will flow through.

For example, if a shower head has a 2.5 gpm - it doesn’t matter that a valve with stops will cause a lower gpm OR if I decided to purchase a 17s for the trim kit. Is that correct?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how this turned out. I have a job coming up with this design to use the R22000-unws as a shower diverter and tub filler. The lowest flow rate at 40psi isn't much different than the max fill rate of the tub spout. A 35gal tub would fill from 5-7minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks