Delta shower faucet/handle problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

mikehende

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I took this shower handle which fell off to a local plumbing store. The guy there said before replacing either the handle or the faucet's cartridge/stem I should try removing that shaft in the first pic and tighten it onto the stem of of the faucet.

He said that loose item in the stem of the handle is the handle's screw. We don't know how to turn that shaft, any ideas please.

rp70538-01.jpg

rp70538-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikehende

Reaction score
On the right side of your 1st photo there is a set screw holding the hex adapter in the handle. Once it is removed it can be reassembled properly.

Right but the plumber in the store said that the loose item showing by the left red arrow is the screw which I did not understand. I had told him the screw which needs to be secured from the outside underneath of the handle had fallen out and went down the drain I guess. but he said that is the screw which is loose inside the handle, is he right? If yes, I am trying to get that screw out which is why he had said I would need to turn that piece inside the handle to get the screw.

Last edited:

mikehende

Reaction score
He is mistaken. The left arrow screw simply holds the adapter to the stem. The set screw holds the handle to the adapter.

Right that is what I was thinking. I am waiting for Delta to respond [if as he says it's a Delta faucet] but can you guys advise me on what I should get, only the screw, entire handle or cartridge/stem please?

mikehende

Reaction score
I got the handle and screw set [thanks!] but can't find any instructions to replace the handle?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Attach the hex adapter to the cartridge stem with the long screw. With the shower turned off attach the handle pointing toward your right
and tighten the set screw.

s-l640.jpg

mikehende

Reaction score
We got it done had to do a little improvising as the handle they sent was a little different from the original.

Thanks a million for all of the help! Many Blessings!

Ape1999

Reaction score
We got it done had to do a little improvising as the handle they sent was a little different from the original.

Thanks a million for all of the help! Many Blessings!
Where did you purchase this handle? It is discontinued everywhere.

Ven

Reaction score
On the right side of your 1st photo there is a set screw holding the hex adapter in the handle. Once it is removed it can be reassembled properly. This valve is sold under the names of Delta, Peerless, Glacier Bay. Parts sheet is attached.

rp70538-hex-adapter.jpg

https://media.peerlessfaucet.com/PartsDiagram/PPD-B-P188710.pdf

rp70538-parts.jpg

rp70358.jpg

I have the same problem. Can I use the knob, remove the adapter and just use the knob and screw you pictured above instead of the handle since it's really heavy?

Unc

Reaction score
This is a great post, but I did a silly thing and allowed the long screw to slip down the tub drain! Does anyone know what size screw I need to replace it with? Much appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks