Delta Shower Cartridge Replacement Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

eR1c

Reaction score
Hello there - I was wondering if I could get some assistance with my issue. I replaced my shower cartridge with the type in the image below. It's an exact replacement and it's all brand new. I followed the instructions and installed everything correctly, from what I can tell.

My issue is that now, either with the handle installed or if I remove the handle and grab the gold stem with a set of channel locks, the whole assembly turns 360 degrees in either direction. So, if I turn it clockwise from the off position, where no water is flowing, the water will turn on again. I thought the water should only turn on when you turn the assembly counter clockwise. When I install the handle, it does the same thing, except there is more resistance due, I assume, to the Alan bolt that is installed perpendicularly through the stem limiting the rotational temperature regulator's rotation. But again, it doesn't stop the cartridge from spinning clock-wise with it installed. It just creates more resistance.

Also, what is that Alan bolt that goes through the stem for? I can't for the life of me figure out it's purpose. I thought it was meant to prevent the stem from turning past the "off" position, however, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm sorry but I don't have much experience with plumbing. Thanks for any help you can offer.

20200104_125354.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The end of that torx/allen screw should extend to touch the plastic adjustable high temp limit stop and have an internal stop that is not adjustable at the off position.

delta-cartridge-summary.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

eR1c

Reaction score
The end of that torx/allen screw should extend to touch the plastic adjustable high temp limit stop and have an internal stop that is not adjustable at the off position.
I see...okay thanks. So just unwind that bolt out a little more and the valve won't be able to turn past off?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks