Delta R22000 Pipe size for two heads

Users who are viewing this thread

Jefrf

Reaction score
I'm a pretty experienced remodeler helping my neighbor rough in a Delta Multichoice 22000 valve. The plan is to have a normal wall mounted showerhead and then a body sprayer which slides up and down on a vertical bar. The trim allows for three settings: shower, body sprayer, or both. The sprayer is fed via a hose from a small elbow nearby on the adjacent wall. I've put in plenty of "normal" valves before with shower head and maybe tub spout, but this one is obviously a more complicated because you have to feed each of the two from the correct outlet from the valve. Their directions are OK, so I think I can handle that part. I also know the importance of the rough-in depth and accounting for my tile thickness, etc. So I'm down to two important questions I could use some help from pros (y'all):

1) Since this will have more water coming out than just a single showerhead, should I bring 3/4" pipe for the hot and cold lines from his PEX manifod to the valve body, and then 1/2" out of the valve to each head? Or is feeding the value through 1/2" going to be enough.? Using PEX, so I figure the fittings will restrict a bit compared to if I sweat copper. But it's only two heads, not like the 5-6 that some really big fancy showers have.

2) The shower head will be above a nice big niche in the tiled wall and the valve is on an adjacent wall near the shower door. Am I allowed to have the drop-ear elbow for the showerhead come in horizontally or does it have to run vertically down before I elbow it over towards the valve? Every job I've done has had the head directly over the valve, so I never even thought about this before. I can't imagine why it would matter, but thought I'd ask rather than find out later I was wrong.

3) any other considerations for a different type of valve such as this? Happy to hear any advice.

Thanks. Terrylove forum is my go-to plumbing source. Appreciate all who give their opinions.

delta-multichoice-diverter.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2 PEX should be fine for two shower heads.
The diverter shifts water to the different heads. The 3- way diverter in the trim packages lets you use one head at a time. The 6-way diverter lets you run two heads at once.

Jefrf

Reaction score
1/2 PEX should be fine for two shower heads.
The diverter shifts water to the different heads. The 3- way diverter in the trim packages lets you use one head at a time. The 6-way diverter lets you run two heads at once.

Thanks, Terry. How about my question of the sideways drop-ear elbow? I've seen several videos of Youtube from pro plumbers putting in diverters showing them with the elbow coming in from horizontal, but I don't necessarily copy everything I see on Youtube.

Annieclover

Reaction score
As long as the supply lines for the shower tie into a 3/4" line, 1/2" will be fine. I use a Delta shower faucet that already has PEX adapters made into the valve body, no threading or sweating, just crimp and this is done. The greater the distance from the manifold to the fixture, the wider the PEX tubing should be. A 3/8-inch line is sufficient for lengths up to 250 feet, a 1/2-inch line will deliver adequate water pressure up to 350 feet, and 3/4-inch tubing is necessary to run a 500-foot line.

water-sizing-chart-terrylove-40-60.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks