Delta pull down tub diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

JOL

Reaction score
I have a Delta tub spout with a RP-17453 diverter but no shower installed. I have pulled down the diverter and now I can't get any water flow for the tub. Can I repair this by simply taking the spout off from the wall? To prevent this in the future (not by me, since I've learned my lesson), what spout would make a replacement without a diverter of any kind?

delta-pull-down-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's strange since the diverter is spring loaded to return. It stays down while there's water pressure to aid it. If you can't push it back up easily, my best guess is that there was some debris in the pipes and it lodged in there, preventing it from returning. If it does push back up easily, but won't stay, call Delta for a replacement - the spring may have become dislodged or broken (a rare occurance). Almost everyone makes a straight tub spout without a diverter. I'm 99% certain you could get a Delta one that would just screw on to replace the one you have.

The diverter retracts when the supply is shut off which causes the pressure against it to drop. But, if it's making a really good seal, without a showerhead, the piping isn't open to the air, so the pressure from the valve may make it appear that water is still on and feeding the showerhead. I think a little assistance would make it retract. Worst case, shut the main water off, then open the tub's valve. this will release the pressure, and it should retract on its own.

JOL

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I'll try the shut off routine. I was afraid to really screw up the valve, but did push up the ring but it didn't so anything so it may be the pressure like you said.

delta-pull-down-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thought about this, and opening the tub's valve may not do anything...but open any other valve in the house, and the pressure will drop. The diverter is acting, I think, like a shutoff valve, and to retract, you need to release the pressure...so, open something else AND the tub valve, and there'll be a path for the pressure to be relieved.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Slap it hard and it will retract. you have to overcome the water pressure holding it closed. You need a Delta "tub spout", because it has to fit the "Adjust to Wall" adapter on the pipe from the wall. If you were in AZ I might wonder if your plumber was the same one that did a job I was on a couple of weeks ago, because they had a tub spout, (which you need), but needed the diverter spout, (which you have).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks