Delta Multichoice, How to plug for shower only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gslenk

Reaction score
I have a delta R10000 valve, and am installing it in a shower only. I read about the trick to install it upside down due to better flow, and possibly some sort of debris collection prevention that a normal install might lead to.

I found this:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/delta-rough-in-valve-for-shower-only-install.54243/

But am unsure of what Terry's post means by "You can use a threaded brass plug, or make up a male adapter and cap." (edit: I see this is probably means for the shower head rough outlet).

I intend to sweat a copper plug into one of the unused valve ends, is this method correct?

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
I always get the shower and tub model. Comes with a brass plug to block off what's not needed. You can block it with whatever fits. Tub orifice is larger than shower so some people just turn it bottom to top for more output. Or you could drill it out if you're careful.

Gslenk

Reaction score
I always get the shower and tub model. Comes with a brass plug to block off what's not needed. You can block it with whatever fits. Tub orifice is larger than shower so some people just turn it bottom to top for more output. Or you could drill it out if you're careful.

I got mine from Lowes, so it did not come with a brass plug. I sweated in a copper plug to the shower head port, and installed it upside down, hope that is OK. It also didn't come with a crossover plug.

Hopefully a plumbing supplier has the crossover plug, otherwise what are my options? install a cartridge? I plan to go with a 1700 series, haven't chosen the trim kit yet. I guess I need to expedite that process.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you're feeding multiple showerheads, you'll not get better performance by rotating the rough-in valve...doesn't hurt, though.

The easiest way to plug the hole is to use a brass plug (don't use a galvanized one) or cap, depending on what you have. Just use some pipe dope or PTFE tape on the thing...no need to solder it. If you want to solder it, you could solder in a short section of copper with a cap on it.

Delta sells their cartridge with the trim, so if you didn't buy the R10000 with the in-line shutoffs, you'll need either the plug or the trim package to stop cross-overs (unless there's a shutoff to those lines somewhere - like maybe if you have a manifold system).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks