Delta, Hot water coming out cold faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RedSoxFan1, Nov 15, 2019.

1. RedSoxFan1

RedSoxFan1 New Member

Hello,
    I had a leaking shower so I called Delta and they sent me out a new cartridge. Upon removing the old cartridge I discovered Delta sent the wrong part. I called Delta back and they are now sending the correct replacement cartridge.

The cartridge I removed was broken and the plastic half remained lodged in the valve in the wall. It took some effort to get the plastic part out - to the point the cartridge can not be put back into the valve. So I capped the valve and the pipe the shower head goes on so I could turn the water back on.

For some reason there is now warm to very hot water coming out of the cold side on multiple sinks in the house. Anyone know why that is happening and is there anything I can do to fix it while awaiting the arrival of the new cartridge from Delta?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Close the stop valve for either the cold or hot, if you have one.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The hot is crossing over at the shower valve.
    They do make a plug for that. I doubt that the homecenters carry it though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  5. RedSoxFan1

RedSoxFan1 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by stop valve.

6. RedSoxFan1

RedSoxFan1 New Member

Thanks Terry. I will contact my local plumbing supply store. Should I just ask for a rough in valve plug that stops cross over or is there a specific name for that?

7. RedSoxFan1

RedSoxFan1 New Member

Perfect. Thanks again!

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

A stop valve is one that shuts off the water. Some valves have them built in, and they are generally screwdriver-operated. They are on the outside of the big hole in this picture:

[​IMG]

Some installations have separate valves installed. If you have neither, wait for the cartridge.

9. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Possibly one of the most common questions on this site

10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    The "plug" only works if he has a Delta "Universal" body and the "rough in" body seal to hold it in.