Delta faucet keeps running after shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

trw888

Reaction score
4 year old Delta two-handle kitchen faucet model #21902-LF,

Original problem: Water kept running for severalseconds after we turned it off. It slows to a trickle and then to a severe and the eventually stops. This happened suddenly and did it for both handles. Called Delta and was told the problem was the stem unit assemblies and they sent me two new ones.

Second round of problems: After I replaced them, it made no difference on the cold side. The water kept running for a few seconds after shutting it off. And the hot water stayed running no matter what. It didn’t matter if the handle was turned off or on, the only way to shut it off with at the valve underneath the sink. After messing with it for nearly two hours, I replaced the new assembly with the old one and that problem went away.

But now I’m back to the original problem.
Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

trw888

Reaction score
Thank you Smooky. Yes, the seats and springs were part of the stem assembly units Delta sent me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Then your problem is illogical, assuming ALL the parts were installed properly, because one those THREE pieces are replaced there is no reason for the faucet to leak, much less "run for a few minutes". Also, are you sure the hot unit was not installed backwards so that you would have had to turn it ON in order to stop the flow, (a common mistake for DIYers who do not know it can be installed two different ways)?

Last edited:

trw888

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. I know the assemblies need to installed in a certain way and made sure to install them exactly like the old ones. I also double checked against the diagram. And after that didn't fix the problem, I installed them in the opposite direction just to make sure.

As for the hot water, it ran continuously no matter if the handle was turned on or off. I re-installed the old assembly exactly the new assembly, which was installed exactly like the assembly when it came from the factory and the running continuously problem went away. I've also double checked the part # to make sure Delta sent me the right parts.

james1

Reaction score
If you reinsert "cartridge" and the water will suddenly not turn off, you need to reverse the cartridge (by 180°).

I was working on the fixture and in re-tightening everything I inadvertently turned the hot water base by 180° without realizing it.

Reaction score
1. If your cartridges were not fully seated into the faucet body when the retaining nuts were tightened, the seats might not be making full contact with the bottom of the cartridge. I'm assuming the tabs on the cartridges were lined up with the slots in the valve body. If not, the cartridge was not fully seated and you were tightening against the tabs.
2. Has the house's water pressure increased such that the seats are not making good enough initial contact but take several seconds to finally seal? Are there any other water pressure or valves/faucets acting the same way. Tells you if its just that faucet or something with the system.
3. Its also possible some continued flow for a few seconds may be due to a loss of vacuum with the spout and aerator. In other words, because the faucet has a high arc spout, if the air vacuum is broken at the aerator, (finger over the end of a straw dipped into a glass of water will stay in the straw) all the water in the spout will drain through the aerator after the faucet has been turned off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks