Delta faucet from the 1980's repair parts question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Fernandz

Reaction score
I have looked at several tutorials about how to fix the single handle Delta tub/shower faucet that is leaking. Our is I suppose the one that was originally installed in a 1982 building. My question is about what parts should I buy to fix it. I haven't disassembled it yet, as taking the handle off I find the existing ball is not metallic, but white plastic. I don't know if all the balls available are the same size. I have also read that the number of holes may be different. I am attaching a picture of what I have. Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_20200625_170323.jpg

delta-handle-pliers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replacement balls are metal anyway. I would pick up the kit with the new ball, springs and seals.
Removing the thread on collar is tricky. You need to be careful not to egg the shape when griping it with pliers. Sometimes we use a hose clamp around it, or a rubber coupling around it to help turn it without bending the collar nut. There are three copper tubes behind that can twist and break behind the ball portion of the valve.
I have also heated the collar and tapped it to loosen it.

delta-conversion-1.jpg

delta-600-replace-06.jpg

I found this old valve on a job. Badly twisted.

delta_rp54870.jpg

My favorite kit to replace with.

E.L.

Reaction score
Hi Terry-

Big fan of your website.

I have a leaking ball-valve shower also, but the only problem is that the Delta RP54870 kit wasn't the right replacement fit. I'm not sure what valve my shower has...it is not marked anywhere on the plate or valve that I can see.

Do you have any other recommendations for replacement kits? i was not able to easily find any searching your typical big box stores.

I measured the plate: 6.5" in diameter, with the inner hole (for the cam nut) 2" in diameter. The screw holes are spaced 1 7/8" apart (not quite the same as the delta kit), and placed above the handle hole. I noted this was the opposite vs. the delta valve, and the lower screw holes on the actual brass valve are not even threaded, only the top holes are threaded.

thanks in advance,
E.L.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks