Delta Cartridge Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
I had a new Delta R10000 rough-in and a 17 series RP46463 cartridge installed in a bathtub/shower. Everything works but I am disappointed in the flow rate of the tub fill. In the installation instructions I noticed that the orientation of the cartridge should be such that the words HOT SIDE are on the left hand side of the cartridge. Mine has it on the top side. Would this have any effect on the flow rate? The outer part can only go into the body one way. I asked this question of Delta but they just said leave it. It must be for some reason or they wouldn't have the specification.

Any ideas?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cartridge should have a v shaped detent on the sides which fit into v shaped notches in the valve body. The notches should be on the left and right side of the valve.. so horizontal. The H corresponds generally on the left side unless your hot and cold are reversed which would place it on the right side.. But it shouldn't be on the vertical.

It is possible to install the valve 90 degrees from correct.. which would place the indents vertically.. you would have to cut it out and reinstall if that were the case. The valve should have the word UP embossed on the top of the cylindrical part of the body inside the wall.. it should be visible with the cover plate removed.

r10000-unwshf-terrylove-03.jpg

r10000-with-stops.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
UNLESS the piping is rotated, the only way HOT can be on the top is if the valve is installed sideways. If that is done, then NOTHING will work properly and you will have a "bypass" connection between the hot and cold piping. Turn off the water supply to the water heater and open a hot water faucet "some where" it water comes out and it is cold, then the supposition is that is what happened.

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
UNLESS the piping is rotated, the only way HOT can be on the top is if the valve is installed sideways. If that is done, then NOTHING will work properly and you will have a "bypass" connection between the hot and cold piping. Turn off the water supply to the water heater and open a hot water faucet "some where" it water comes out and it is cold, then the supposition is that is what happened.

I'm sure the valve body is installed correctly. The trim plate wouldn't attach properly if it wasn't. I guess I'm wondering about the cartridge assembly and if the inside part of it can be rotated and still align with the rough in body.

Themp

Reaction score
I just replaced the RP46463 cartridge in my shower. This cartridge is a volume and pressure balance temperature control. If you look at how it works it has a set of weights that rotate back and forth to balance the volume and pressure. I am wondering if it is installed vertical if it makes the weight mechanism favor the downward side and thus mess with the flow. The weights are in the white part of the cartridge:

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP46463.html

I was replacing mine with this:

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP47201.html

It is a TempAssure valve and it really is nice compared to the RP46463. With the old valve it would take a few minutes for the temperature to come up to the preset, but with this valve it seems to favor the hot right off the start and my shower temperature is ready in 30 seconds or so. And as the water temperature from the city changes based on winter/summer it needs no changing like the RP46463 did. Since this valve works with some kind of wax material to alter the flow, I would think it would not be affected by what rotation it was installed as.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure the valve body is installed correctly. The trim plate wouldn't attach properly if it wasn't. I guess I'm wondering about the cartridge assembly and if the inside part of it can be rotated and still align with the rough in body.

You might be surprised at how creative people will get to "fix" things. The bracket that receives the trim plat screws is removable. Pretty easy to open up the trim plate and verify 1: the notches are on the horizontal and 2: the Up is up.

I just replaced the RP46463 cartridge in my shower. This cartridge is a volume and pressure balance temperature control. If you look at how it works it has a set of weights that rotate back and forth to balance the volume and pressure. I am wondering if it is installed vertical if it makes the weight mechanism favor the downward side and thus mess with the flow. The weights are in the white part of the cartridge:

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP46463.html

The only way the cartridge could be installed 90 deg out causing the pressure balance spool to drop is if the rough in valve were installed 90 deg out. One would be the effect of the the original mistake. Both would preclude the valve from working properly.

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
You might be surprised at how creative people will get to "fix" things. The bracket that receives the trim plat screws is removable. Pretty easy to open up the trim plate and verify 1: the notches are on the horizontal and 2: the Up is up.

The only way the cartridge could be installed 90 deg out causing the pressure balance spool to drop is if the rough in valve were installed 90 deg out. One would be the effect of the the original mistake. Both would preclude the valve from working properly.

I will pull the trim plate to verify the rough in is right and then I will pull the cartridge and see what's going on. Everything works but my original question was about the effects of not having the cartridge apparently in the proper orientation (per installation instructions) on the flow rate or on the handle position is still unknown.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will pull the trim plate to verify the rough in is right and then I will pull the cartridge and see what's going on. Everything works but my original question was about the effects of not having the cartridge apparently in the proper orientation (per installation instructions) on the flow rate or on the handle position is still unknown.

Fully realize your question is about the cartridge being marked with the H on the top... I have the same cartridge and rough in valve on my desk and can't figure out how its possible without the rough in valve spun. In order to diagnose the problem, we have to determine whether the valve is oriented properly.. if not, then thats the answer.. if it is then we can figure what other weird anomoly is happening.. the H should not be on the top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks