Delta 1400 Monitor Leak Help

Users who are viewing this thread

wilshire

Reaction score
I have one of these in my shower and recently noticed a leak below it above garage ceiling. Noticed it only leaks when showering, more specifically when someone is in the shower, not when shower is running unoccupied. Some testing (pouring a glass of water above fixture on wall so that water runs down it shows that is the problem.

I took off the handle and sleeve and saw that o ring in that position on the shaft. Is it not supposed to be right beside brass nut in that groove? Not that that would solve this leak but thought it was odd. when o ring is slid up into slot, the sleeve won't fit over it as its too fat. The problem is water getting in behind sleeve around the perimeter of the shaft and evidently leaking down below which makes sense wy it only happens when someone showers ie splashing water backawards onto fixture. Other than caulking the seam around the sleeve, is there something else i can do to prevent this?
File Dec 06, 4 23 54 PM.jpeg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You pull the O ring forward and push the sleeve over it. it will "roll" back as the sleeve is pushed onto the valve.

delta-cartridge-summary.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Not enough information.

Try swapping the cartridge first, that would be easy and least intrusive.

If that didn't fix it, you may need to remove the cover. I understand that is caulked, but we need to look under it.

Can be leaking from the top thread fitting of the Monitor mixer (see pic). This sends to your showerhead.

I assume you don't have an access panel on the otherside of the wall. If it's closetspace, open it up. Don't have to replace the drywall, plywood with 4 screws will do, and you can paint it whatever.

Can also be leaking at the tub drain gasket. Your garage ceiling is probably all rotton at this point anyways, so might as well cut a small square in the ceiling drywall to make an access panel there too.
multichoice.jpg
index.php
index.php

Last edited:

wilshire

Reaction score
Okay further information and thanks for the replies.... drop ceiling in basement luckily, it's definitely not the shower drain. Most definitely seeping down the hot water pipe (1/2" cpvc). I don' tthink its leaking from the fixture itself because like I say I have ran it when no one in the shower for 10 minutes or so and no leak. The only time I can replicate the leak is when I either A showered in it, or b dumped the bottle of water on the tile directly above the fixture. I am 90% sure it's going in the seam pictured, I just don't know why. Also, the showerhead leaks a fairly steady stream of water from the bottom of it which drips down on that collar too.
File Dec 06, 4 23 54 PM.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks