Delta 1 Piece Shower Cracked, Warranty Declined

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumberX

Reaction score
Hi, as the title states I purchased a 1 piece Delta Styla 32X32 shower unit to put in my inlaws small house. It was purchased in October 2020 from Lowes along with other supplies we were gathering to start the project. The shower unit was kept in the uninhabited, unused, unconditioned cabin. We started the project in summer 2021 and stopped in October 2021 when I climbed under house in tight crawlspace to connect the shower to plumbing. There were some snake skins under there so I decided not to go further under until weather cooled enough that snakes became inactive. At this time we had installed the shower drain fitting to enable connecting to 2 inch pvc drain pipe. Unit was still wrapped in original plastic factory wrapping. When I went back to connect a few weeks ago I saw that a crack had appeared on the shower base running from the drain to the back wall. I called up delta and spoke to a rep and then sent in requested photos and copy of receipt. He stated unit was now discontinued also asked if it was stored in unheated enviroment. I told him yes and installation book mentioned nothing about storing unit in a conditioned space. He then told me that warranty wouldnt cover the crack as I had breached the terms of the warrantys abuse and neglect clause. I then talked to a manager who firmly told me the same thing. I told her that the same thing about no mention in the install manual about these storing conditions and that more ofter than not in new house construction that showers are being installed in unheated spaces for months if not years while the houses are being built. Still no satisfaction and no offer of any reimbursement or replacement because I had been abusive to the item letting it sit there cold and alone.
I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience? How they handled it and if they had the 10 year residential warranty honored? I have found out the hard way why this item has been discontinued.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Delta is usually pretty good. They probably think it got cracked when it was moved in a cold condition. Plastic doesn't like cold.

TFlack

Reaction score
Hi, as the title states I purchased a 1 piece Delta Styla 32X32 shower unit to put in my inlaws small house. It was purchased in October 2020 from Lowes along with other supplies we were gathering to start the project. The shower unit was kept in the uninhabited, unused, unconditioned cabin. We started the project in summer 2021 and stopped in October 2021 when I climbed under house in tight crawlspace to connect the shower to plumbing. There were some snake skins under there so I decided not to go further under until weather cooled enough that snakes became inactive. At this time we had installed the shower drain fitting to enable connecting to 2 inch pvc drain pipe. Unit was still wrapped in original plastic factory wrapping. When I went back to connect a few weeks ago I saw that a crack had appeared on the shower base running from the drain to the back wall. I called up delta and spoke to a rep and then sent in requested photos and copy of receipt. He stated unit was now discontinued also asked if it was stored in unheated enviroment. I told him yes and installation book mentioned nothing about storing unit in a conditioned space. He then told me that warranty wouldnt cover the crack as I had breached the terms of the warrantys abuse and neglect clause. I then talked to a manager who firmly told me the same thing. I told her that the same thing about no mention in the install manual about these storing conditions and that more ofter than not in new house construction that showers are being installed in unheated spaces for months if not years while the houses are being built. Still no satisfaction and no offer of any reimbursement or replacement because I had been abusive to the item letting it sit there cold and alone.
I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience? How they handled it and if they had the 10 year residential warranty honored? I have found out the hard way why this item has been discontinued.
I had the same problem with Delta. I had a 120 month warranty and the base cracked dead center. When I pullled it out and filpped over, there waw 3/8 piece of plyboard that was support by a piece black foam pad. Delta fought me tooth and nail, insisting I show photos that wall were square. What? The walls in or our of square don't affect the base because the walls are screw into studs. they wanted a level of the base. Not possible as the design sends all the water downhill to the drain, duh? So I showed a photo of the floor which happend to 8 inches of concrete. After a week of battling and moving up the ladder, they agreed to replace my base. I was happy until it arrived. My previous pass had a center mark of 14 1/2 iches. They ship at 15 5/8th inches. That mean the drain was no in the center drain basin, but actually sticking on top of the base floor. I showed delta photos and they told me just put sealant around the drain. What doesn't run up hill. If I had done there would forever be puddle around the drain area. So called again they sent the same wrong base THREE FREAKING TIMES! This is the only shower in the apartment. I've no shower for 7 weeks. I had the right in, I could do it a day. All three boxes had the exact same number on it. I admit it was a better and if I could the drain, I would have been satisfied. It had a honey come raised black I assume pvc squares. I put on the slab, added cardboard to protect it and without screwing it to the studs, it was stout, but what good will that do me if the drain wrong. Any solutions out there? I do have one from Ferguson supply and I think it might work. I am hoping they deliver it tomorrow as they are local. My drain in the cement is the exact required and used that way for 34 months. When I took out the broken base, the only water was right up the crack. Around the drain, no water. Any tips on how I can make the new fit my drain with a problem? I would appreciate any tips. I'm 72 and built the apartment myself and did all except sheetrock. That I can't do.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
You would probably have better results starting your own thread instead of hijacking somebody else's 2 year old thread.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never even seen Delta Showers not in the field anyway . unfortuantely you need to go buy another shower 3 or 4 wrong or messed up showers move on with a differant brand no more Delta showers for you ever again, refund sue or whatever but dont take another junk shower .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks