Deleted

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a professional. The square brine tank takes less space, and it would do the job nicely. Yes, a round one is structurally stronger, but the square ones hold up for almost all people. But then I figure most people don't cram them full.

A softener with 1 cubic ft of resin is big enough for you. That could be done with a 9" x 48" tank. I would go up to a 10" x 54" 1.50 cu. ft. tank myself. It takes only a little more floor space. I would lean toward the Fleck 5600SXT if I was doing it myself. Fleck restricts how you can buy their newer stuff.

In Tampa, some people might put the brine tank, or even the whole softener outdoors if protected from rain.

That Autotrol 268-760 unit was revised about 2001. Still, I don't know what feature would be better for you than a Fleck 5600SXT.

A cabinet softener is not a bad choice. Few professionals go that way. While cabinet units tend to not get repaired, they are usually good for 10 years or more. Then you buy a new one if needed. They take less floor space.

On your water test results, presume your chlorinated water has zero iron. That test result you posted was probably from before the water got treated. But because your water is chlorinated, opt for 10% crosslinked resin if it is offered at a reasonable adder. And until you know otherwise, I would set up your softener for 15 grains of hardness.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Both Autotrol and Fleck are very good. The Autotrol is quite dated. Fleck has released some new valves that are far more advanced than the Autotrol but... either way will do you fine. My personal preference is the Fleck but we sell both. Watch the online guys, most make ridiculous claims about hopw great their equipment is... most are only trying to be the lowest price and will substitute in a lot of low end junk in order to be the lowest price.

Your whole house filter... not the best choice. I have seen many problems with that particular unit over the years.

If you have high sediment, maybe try the Atlas Filtri Hydra. This is a simple filter that you can manually clean as needed. They offer exceptional flow rates and are ideal for municipal supplies. The Lakos Twist II Clean is also a good choice but not ideal if water pressure will ever potentially exceed 80 PSI.

upload_2017-2-13_9-4-40.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks