Delay in Toilet Water Refill, After Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

sweetchic

Reaction score
A few months ago this started happening. I've done internet searches, can't find that this happens to anyone else.

It's a 1-year-old Toto toilet in a house. I flush the toilet, it always flushes great, and then silence. As much as a full minute later the tank and bowl refill with water.
What is the problem?
Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may be the fill valve needs repair or cleaning.
If it's the Korky style, these would be the instructions

https://terrylove.com/korky/

korky_cap.jpg

R528 cap

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of mine did that for awhile, then started to operate normally. If you clean the screen, it may go away, or replace the cap assembly for about $3.00.

sweetchic

Reaction score
What if I don't fix it?

Well, it's not inconvenient.
Will it hurt if I just leave it alone?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could leave it, as long as it continues to fill at some point.

The repair is less than $5 though, takes no tools, and takes less than a minute.

SamC

Reaction score
It won't hurt anything, but if it continues, it may eventually fail to fill to the line, which will adversely affect the flush. The same thing happened to my Drake after about a year. It has the Korky fill valve. I called Korky customer service about where to get a replacement cap. They gave me complete troubleshooting instructions and sent out a free new fill cap. Nice folks. I replaced the fill cap in about 10 minutes; problem solved.

sweetchic

Reaction score
A grateful fan

What a great forum!
Thanks for the quick replies!
I will check out Toto's customer service options....

Last edited:

boctok

Reaction score
There is a small valve in the bottom of the cup where the float is. Debris can get caught in this valve and significantly slow the rate that the water drains from this cup, which keeps the float from dropping and opening the valve. You can check this by removing the top cap and the float. If you have just flushed the toilet and there is still water standing in this cup, the small valve is clogged. You can take a paper towel and soak up the water which usually will also take up the debris.

PJC

Reaction score
botok was right on the money. I removed the green TOTO cap, squeezed the black float on the top to remove it. Then I cleaned out the float bucket of debris. At the bottom of the float bucket there is a clear round ball. Push it out from inside the bucket (it will fall into the water); this will allow you to clean that lil bucket drain completely (I used a toothpick from both top and bottom). Be careful to not drain the toilet if the clear ball is floating in the water, simply remove it to be safe! You can replace back the clear ball by snapping it back in from the bottom of the float bucket. Presto-magic. Now it immediately fills after each flush.

korky-528mp-terrylove-05.jpg

korky-528mp-terrylove-06.jpg

korky-528mp-terrylove-04.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As the rubber ages, and this can happen faster if your water pressure is high, the cap seal becomes stiffer. That is the more common reason why there may be a delay in the refill starting. When you've isolated it to that versus debris in the float, don't put it off before you get a replacement cap. Once the rubber gets that hard, it will fracture eventually, and then, won't turn off.

korky-528-cap-terrylove-02.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks