Deep well pump running at 30psi, garden hose

Users who are viewing this thread

jonnieboy2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having some issues with my deep well system. Not very deep though, it is only 42 ft of drop pipe. Had a 30 yr old pump go out, replaced with same spec 1/2 hp pump, replaced pitless, and replaced galv. pipe with plastic from well to pressure tank. All worked as previously did.

Now I replaced pressure tank. Stepped up from a well xtrol 200 (14 gallon) to a 202xl (26 gal) tank and having issues. I am remodeling so I don't have any plumbing hooked up, but running from spigot at the pressure tank and garden hose. The pressure will maintain 30 or 31 with water running, but will not build to the 50 cut out pressure. If I open the spigot just part way, it will build. I have 1" line from pump to pressure tank. Have checked the tank pressure and is at 28 psi, drained.

The 1/2 hp pump is what I had and what the water company recommended. It worked fine before, but seems to not have enough volume to get to pressure while running a garden hose.

What could be the issue. I have watched and listened inside the well. Don't hear drop pipe or pitless leak. Not sure where to start.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are lots of different 1/2HP pumps. They come in 5,7,8,10,12,13,15,16,20, 22, and 25 GPM series. You need something like a 10 GPM series. Also check the size of your spigot. Some will only let out 5 GPM, while others like a frost free hydrant will let out 20+ GPM. If using less than 10 GPM the pump will cycle on and off. If using more than 10 GPM the pressure will just stay low.

jonnieboy2

Reaction score
Yea, I don't remember how many GPM the pumps were/are, but I know that it was the same on both and it worked unitl I changed pressure tanks. The spigot is new, it is screwed into a 1/2" port on the tank tee. Maybe it flows more than the pump? Wouldn't think so?

Is it bad to run the pump continuously for an hour or two? Say if I water the garden, will it burn up the pump?

It used to cycle every minute or two with the hose. It would cycle every three minutes or so with the kitchen sink on before. Obviously much less flow from faucet.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Is it bad to run the pump continuously for an hour or two? Say if I water the garden, will it burn up the pump?

Most above ground pump motors are rated Continuous duty. With proper ventilation it should not hurt it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I was assuming a submersible? Subs are also made for continuous duty. It is the cycling on and off that destroys pumps. There are 1440 minutes in a day. With a pump cycling every minute or two the number of cycles adds up quickly, which is bad for the pump. You WANT the pump to run continuously until you turn off the spigot.

jonnieboy2

Reaction score
Ok great. It sounds like I am set up ok then. I am more than happy with the pressure. Yes it is submersible.

Thanks for the input.

Reach4

Reaction score
Had a 30 yr old pump go out, replaced with same spec 1/2 hp pump
Do you know what pump you put in? You might have put in a 1/2 HP 20 gpm pump when a 1/2 HP 10 gpm pump would have been better. But then you might have had to run two hoses to prevent the cycling.

jonnieboy2

Reaction score
Yea, I will have to look at the paperwork to find out my GPM. I know I took the old pump with me and got the same rated pump to replace it. I am happy with the water output as it is, but just wanted to make sure it was operating correctly I guess.

After installing the new pump I ran mostly from the kitchen sink to check operation, but have since dismantled the kitchen and the only water source is right at the pressure tank until I am done with the remodel. If I turn down the flow at the spigot on the pressure tank (to ressemble the lower flow from a kitchen sink) it takes three mintues or so to draw down like before. I just never noticed it running continously while using the outside spigot before. Maybe because I was uaually outside.

RHinNorCal

Reaction score
You have a new pressure tank - is it properly pressurized? My new tank came with 12 pounds of pressure, not nearly enough - plumber added more air to the tank bladder and voila - better water pressure everywhere!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Adding air to the tank doesn't make more pressure in the water lines. Adding air to the tank only slowed down the cycling on/off, which will make the pressure seem better. Eliminating the cycling with a constant pressure valve will make the house pressure that much better still.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks