Deep well pump repeatedly fails to kick in

Users who are viewing this thread

myak

Reaction score
I have been having problems with my deep well pump since it was put in in 1989. The bladder tank will run dry and I have to manually reset the pump. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it does this and I can found no pattern; like excessive loads; and it's not like the well is run low because I've never had to let it recover. I have replaced both the bladder tank and the pressure switch several times over the years, as well as having the well fractured, and still have the problem. Anyone with ideas. I've run out of things to try.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome myak, to Terry's Forums,

Is it possible that maybe you had a power Failure for some reason ?

That could cause the symptom that you describe.

Good Luck on your project.

DonL

P.S. What do you mean by "manually reset the pump" ? How are you doing that ?

Last edited:

myak

Reaction score
DonL
Every time it runs down I have to use the manual start lever on the pressure switch to restart it.

Thanks myak

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That normally means that the pressure dropped lower than 20-30 psi.

If that is the case then using more than the pump can provide could make that happen.

Or if the pump runs long enough to overheat and kicks the thermal overload on the motor, could also cause that.

It that a jet pump or a submersible ?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...it's not like the well is run low because I've never had to let it recover...

When the pump stops pumping and shuts off from low pressure, the well has time to recover before you reset the pump. If your draw doesn't exceed the recovery rate, you're golden.

Has the recovery rate been tested?
What size casing?
How deep is the pump?
What height is the water table?
How many GPM is the pump?

myak

Reaction score
It is a submersible. 8" casing; 65' well depth. GPM, water table height and recovery rate is unknown. When it does run down, I can immediately restart it and do not run out of water, so I am assuming that it is not an issue with the recovery rate of the well.
I have wondered if it may bean issue of exceeding the GPM of the pump. Should have checked the GPM of the pump when it was pulled to frac.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There is a remote possibility that the pump is shutting down thermally but then you would not be able to restart it right away.

I still think the recovery rate is probably exceeded and the pump sucks air. By the time you get it reset, it recovers enough to resume pumping. SInce I'm not there to observe how much water is used at the time, it is all conjecture.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Remove the low pressure cut off pressure switch. Replace it with a standard pressure switch. Then you can use a Cycle Sensor to protect from running dry. The Cycle Sensor will not shut the pump off when the pressure is low from the pump being too small. It will only shut the pump off if it actually pumps air. I think you are simply exceeding the capacity of the pump, not the well. But even if you are exceeding the capacity of the well, the Cycle Sensor can be set to automatically restart after 1 minute or up to 300 minutes if needed. This way you won’t have to go to the well and hold up that little lever to get the water started again. It will just restart by itself after 1 minute.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think you are simply exceeding the capacity of the pump, not the well...
An undersized pump on a really deep well would tend to reduce the GPM as the water level drops but I dismissed that possibility given that the well is only 65 feet deep. Anyway, if that is the case, one should be able to reproduce the result quickly by drawing a lot of water at once. Determining what causes the low pressure cutoff to trip would be the first step.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks