Deep sink with disposal drain issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob O

Reaction score
Hello, I have read very similar posts however none that seem to match exactly what I have going on. I am in the process of getting my house ready to sell and I will need to be able to pass inspection. Is there a way I can tie the existing drain that goes into the wall and horizontal to the right as a vent while creating a new drain line that goes down into the bottom of the cabinet? Or should I just remove the disposal since without it the drain should be fine? I just thought the disposal would be a nice selling feature. It's a single basin sink also if that matters.

58268260892__F5352406-167A-4D3A-96FD-E9E912A3F43D.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Too bad, it's a nice disposer too. The way it is now, there will always be some water in the lower part of the disposer. If you plan on dropping the water through the bottom of the cabinet, you could vent with an AAV for the p-trap. The horizontal in the wall is too low to use as a vent.
Currently all the plumbers are roughing in the drains lower, which isn't any help for the old ones roughed at 19".
With deep sinks, 15" is a better number.

Rob O

Reaction score
Too bad, it's a nice disposer too. The way it is now, there will always be some water in the lower part of the disposer. If you plan on dropping the water through the bottom of the cabinet, you could vent with an AAV for the p-trap. The horizontal in the wall is too low to use as a vent.
Currently all the plumbers are roughing in the drains lower, which isn't any help for the old ones roughed at 19".
With deep sinks, 15" is a better number.

Ok, so I am clear even if I remove the disposal I still can't use the existing drain in the wall? In order to do so I need to lower the entire run to where the vent is?

I have had a few people tell me I can't go through the bottom of the cabinet and use an AAV as a vent either. A different sink isn't an option because I have new counters coming. Do I go to the city and ask them what I can do? Do I just pull out the few cabinets required and fix the pipe issue now?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Removing the disposer and installing a basket strainer would give you the height to reach that trap arm at the wall. Simplest option, but maybe not the best for resale if people are expecting a disposer.

You could open the back of the cabinet and install a tee low enough to drain the disposer, install a cleanout fitting to the upper tee. Then add a sheet of white melamine to make it look factory cabinet back.

Reach4

Reaction score
Removing the disposer and installing a basket strainer would give you the height to reach that trap arm at the wall. Simplest option, but maybe not the best for resale if people are expecting a disposer.

You could open the back of the cabinet and install a tee low enough to drain the disposer, install a cleanout fitting to the upper tee. Then add a sheet of white melamine to make it look factory cabinet back.
I wonder what percent would care.

In a lavatory cabinet, after replacing a failed cast iron santee, I used thin laminated flooring in the back. It is not an exact match, but close enough.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I believe he said the drain was horizontal in the wall, which in that case the only way to lower would be from the floor.
Removing the disposer fixes the drain being too low, but doesn't give you back the disposer.
An 8" deep sink may have worked there. So for all you future kitchen designers out there, make sure you measure first. Older homes were plumbed to take at most an 8" sink.

Reach4

Reaction score
A sink with a shallower disposal bowl might work.

0676176_PE718597_S5.JPG

I don't even know if the hole size on this particular one matches US disposals.

However if your hole is cut already, it is would probably be hard to find one that fit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, so I am clear even if I remove the disposal I still can't use the existing drain in the wall?
You are not clear. Clarify. At first I had thought you had grossly misinterpreted, and that may be the case.

Rob O

Reaction score
You are not clear. Clarify. At first I had thought you had grossly misinterpreted, and that may be the case.
Sorry for the poor info. The existing line goes horizontal to the right about 3' where it meets up with vent. So it's not just one cabinet but 3 and the cabinets are a new install without any counters on them yet. Counters however are in my garage and they are quartz so changing out the sink isn't an option. It sounds as though it's no disposal and let the new owner deal with it or pulling the cabinets and digging into the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry for the poor info. The existing line goes horizontal to the right about 3' where it meets up with vent.
I see no reason you cannot use that existing trap adapter to connect your sink drain if there is no disposal. I think many people aren't looking for a disposal. Yes, there are some that are, so that is not your customer.

If you open the wall so that you could install a disposal, you would add a 2 inch pipe in the wall to the right, at the right height. The santee would be below the existing santee.

I know people who choose to not have a disposal, even tho they have city sewer and nothing that would inhibit installing a disposal.

Last edited:

Rob O

Reaction score
I see no reason you cannot use that existing trap adapter to connect your sink drain if there is no disposal. I think many people aren't looking for a disposal. Yes, there are some that are, so that is not your customer.

If you open the wall so that you could install a disposal, you would add a 2 inch pipe in the wall to the right, at the right height. The santee would be below the existing santee.

I know people who choose to not have a disposal, even tho they have city sewer and nothing that would inhibit installing a disposal.

Thanks. Someone else mentioned a basket strainer which came with the sink. Seems like it is easier to remove the disposal and it becomes the next persons choice.

drspear98

Reaction score
I just remodeled my kitchen and the counters were installed today. The sink is deeper than my last one, and now the drain pipe is level with my disposal's discharge pipe. I am wondering if I can just add a gray water pump under my kitchen sink to remedy this problem. I really don't want to do without a disposal and moving the pipes is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just remodeled my kitchen and the counters were installed today. The sink is deeper than my last one, and now the drain pipe is level with my disposal's discharge pipe. I am wondering if I can just add a gray water pump under my kitchen sink to remedy this problem. I really don't want to do without a disposal and moving the pipes is not an option.

https://www.saniflo.com/en/installing-an-additional-bathroom/96-sanivite.html

Seems rather silly to pump up 2" when you have a gravity option even if inconvenient.

Yes you Can.. physically.. Plumbing code may say no. Lack of planning isn't really an acceptable reason to not do something properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks