Dedicated Plasma TV circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
I want to add a dedicated circuit for a new plasma TV and associated electronics. The breaker will be located in a 100 amp subpanel. Should I go with a 15 amp or 20 amp circuit - Is more always better? Also, should I use a normal circuit breaker or would something like a ground fault type provide more protection?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
In my stupid opinion, a 15 amp circuit will suffice. The only thing I would add is some type of surge protection for the tv, along with surge protection for the entire house.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'd go with 20. I did in my house.

15 will suffice but a 20 amp circuit wil not cost much more......and you get 5 extra amps ;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are a real purist, you'll get a nice true sine-wave ups and run the electronics off of it. In this type, it doesn't switch to the ups when prime power is lost, it always runs off the ups and the batteries. Prime power only keep the batteries charged. Most UPS devices, at least on the low end, perform some filtering, but only switch to the batteries and the oscilator output (to get the pseudo a/c output) when it senses the voltage dropping.

If you don't go that way, it is nice if you get a high quality power line conditioner/surge suppressor.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the past I have lived in homes which had 15 amp circuits everywhere and I had frequent problems with breakers tripping.

When I got my own home, I rewired *all* my 120V circuits to be 20 amps and have had no problems with breakers tripping. I can plug in a vacuum or space heater and not worry about tripping the breaker.

The rule is: If you are wiring another person's home and want more profit, then 15 amp circuits. If you are wiring you own home, then 20 amp circuits!

Also you can get cheap 50 cent outlets/switches (loose in a bin) or "commercial grade" outlets/switches (each in own box) for around $3.00 each which are much better in quality. I have all commercial grade outlets switches in my home.

For some electric panels you can get a "whole house surge suppressor". These snap in like a double breaker. I have this on my main service panel. (Be sure you have a good ground on your main panel. Best is cold water pipe ground and 2 ground rods placed 6 ft. apart. If plastic water pipe, then just two ground rods.) There are also "add on" whole house surge suppressors.

I also have surge protectors at each place I plug in something electronic. The best surge protectors in my opinion are those which offer the best "warranty" should your equipment be damaged (like $50,000.00 coverage). My thinking is they would not offer such a warranty unless they were darn sure their product was so good no one would ever need to collect!

So far as a GFI, these are designed to protect someone from being electrocuited by an appliance with faulty wiring. These are best in a bathroom/kitchen or outside where there can be a wet environment.

Last edited:

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
P.S. You might find better quality and more selection for plug-in surge suppressors at an office supply or computer store than at a hardware store...

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The rule is: If you are wiring another person's home and want more profit, then 15 amp circuits. If you are wiring you own home, then 20 amp circuits!
This may be YOUR rule, but it is not true in the real world.
Sorry, but I consider this rule B-S.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually when I was rewiring my house, I thought about my running 12 ga. and 20 amps to the bedroom as maybe not being necessary. But I did it anyway...

Well a few years later, energy rates skyrocketed. I was able to use a space heater to heat just my bedroom at night (instead of the whole house) and save on my heating bill. Then in the summer same thing with a window air conditioner in the bedroom.

Anyway I was glad I had run the 20 amp circuit. And this has been my life long experience with electrical wiring. Frequently need more outlets than what was installed, frequently need more amperage on the outlets which were installed, and frequently need more spaces in the breaker panel than the panel has available.

Anyway I like to "over engineer" everything electrical for future needs.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Actually when I was rewiring my house, I thought about my running 12 ga. and 20 amps to the bedroom as maybe not being necessary. But I did it anyway...

Well a few years later, energy rates skyrocketed. I was able to use a space heater to heat just my bedroom at night (instead of the whole house) and save on my heating bill. Then in the summer same thing with a window air conditioner in the bedroom.

Anyway I was glad I had run the 20 amp circuit. And this has been my life long experience with electrical wiring. Frequently need more outlets than what was installed, frequently need more amperage on the outlets which were installed, and frequently need more spaces in the breaker panel than the panel has available.

Anyway I like to "over engineer" everything electrical for future needs.

Glad it worked out for you...

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 15amp is all that is needed for a Dedicated Electronics Circuit. As for isolating noise & other damaging baddies in the Electrical Circuit, it depends on how much disposable income that you have.

Personally, I have my Plasma on the same circuit as the other Electrical outlets (along with the overhead light & hallway outlet & light), and no problems. Of course, I used a good Surge/Noise Suppressor on the Electronics.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am guessing that you are not a Certified Electrician, but then again with the comment of changing the 15amps to 20amps pretty much sold that, along with the "Use a snap in Whole house Surge".

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
P.S. You might find better quality and more selection for plug-in surge suppressors at an office supply or computer store than at a hardware store...
The ones at Hardware Stores are just as good as the ones in Office Supply & Computer Stores, just not as overpriced.

KD

Reaction score
The problem with using #12 on lighting circuits is that you will probably cram too many wires in a box which is a Code violation. Some AHJs require all receptacles to be on 20 amp circuits.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You'll find the best selection and price on the Web. I use APC exclusively, and almost always buy their factory-refurb units, which carry the same warranty as new.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The problem with using #12 on lighting circuits is that you will probably cram too many wires in a box which is a Code violation.
Same thing can easily happen on receptacle circuits if you use shallow boxes.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Surge Protection

The usual plug-in device for the Square D QO panel is QO2175SB. The warranty for equipment protection excludes A/V and computer equipment.

The Full Protection unit is the SDSB1175C. Its warranty protection includes computer and A/V equipment. I don't have a price for it but it is probably in the multi-$100s range.

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/El...e Devices/OEM Panel Mount TVSS/6671CT9701.pdf

Warranties are described in the catalog from the link.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks