Dedicated Plasma TV circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

rtstephn

Reaction score
I would be careful about pulling 15 amp plugs out and replacing them wiht 20 amp plugs, unless you know the wire is 12 gauge. A 20 amp plug should go with 12-2 wire. If you put a 20 amp plug on 14-2 wire, you could overheat the wire which could eventually be a fire hazard.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I would be careful about pulling 15 amp plugs out and replacing them wiht 20 amp plugs, unless you know the wire is 12 gauge. A 20 amp plug should go with 12-2 wire. If you put a 20 amp plug on 14-2 wire, you could overheat the wire which could eventually be a fire hazard.
Plug doesn't matter; current will be limited by the circuit breaker, which should be 15A for the 14-2.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score

Actually its perfectly legal to install a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit that has an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

So there goes your theory...

rtstephn

Reaction score
Plug doesn't matter; current will be limited by the circuit breaker, which should be 15A for the 14-2.

Yeah, your exactly right. One of the posters said "When I got my own home, I rewired *all* my 120V circuits to be 20 amps and have had no problems with breakers tripping.". I assumed that he did not actually pull out the 14 gauge cable and just slapped a 20 amp breaker and 20 amp plugs on his circuits.

My point was NEVER put a 20 amp breaker (or even plug, so someone does not assume it's a 20 amp circuit) on typical 14 gauge house wiring. Make sure it's 12 gauge, or pull new wire.

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Thanks,

rtstephn

Reaction score
Actually its perfectly legal to install a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit that has an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

So there goes your theory...

Hmmm. What theory, Chris?

Actually...Here in my municipality it is against code to put a 20 amp plug on 14 gauge wire/15 amp breaker. You'll fail right away. I'm guessing this is not just a local code requirement either, though I'm not sure. ....Aren't we saying the same thing then?

Mikey

Reaction score
None of us is saying the same thing :confused:. NEC says what Chris said (210.21(B)(1)), but also says what you said (210.21(B)(3)). Depends on how many receptacles are on the branch circuit.

rtstephn

Reaction score
None of us is saying the same thing :confused:. NEC says what Chris said (210.21(B)(1)), but also says what you said (210.21(B)(3)). Depends on how many receptacles are on the branch circuit.

I thought the NEC didn't specify how many receptacles could be on any one branch. I thought that was only in commercial that it was specified. Seems like I was told it was 6 circuits on one branch in a commercial setting.

But I don't know!

Mikey

Reaction score
I thought the NEC didn't specify how many receptacles could be on any one branch.
I don't know either, offhand. But I do know it says what Chris said -- you can put a 20A recptacle on a 15A circuit if it's the only receptacle on that circuit. That's not the same thing as specifying "how many receptacles could be on any one branch". Sometimes I think that the French traffic code is easier to understand than the NEC.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, your exactly right. One of the posters said "When I got my own home, I rewired *all* my 120V circuits to be 20 amps and have had no problems with breakers tripping.". I assumed that he did not actually pull out the 14 gauge cable and just slapped a 20 amp breaker and 20 amp plugs on his circuits.

FYI - When I said "rewired", that is what I did. I pulled all new 12 ga. wire. Actually the old wiring was a mix of knob and tube and old romex without ground. This was with a permit and inspected.

Last edited:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I thought the NEC didn't specify how many receptacles could be on any one branch. I thought that was only in commercial that it was specified.

That is correct... residential is unlimited, commercial its 13 receptacles per 20 amp circuit.

20 amp circuit= 2400 watts
180va per receptacle

2400/180 = 13

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks