Dedicated outlet for freezer in laundry room = AFCI?

Users who are viewing this thread

borisf

Reaction score
We're in the process of finishing our basement and are including a dedicated circuit for our fridge in the laundry room.

My vague recollection was that this could be on a standard breaker if the outlet trim-out only had room for one plug (vs. a standard outlet with room for two plugs in a single gang). Our electrician is saying that as of the 2014 NEC these have to be AFCI.

Is that right? There aren't Homeline tandem AFCI breakers and I'm a breaker box slot hoarder. Also, I hate to pay $3o for a breaker vs. $3 if I don't have to.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know required to put an AFCI on your dedicated freezer outlet. It sure could be nasty to have a false trip on a freezer. It looks to me as if Seattle has its own code.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cs/groups/pan/@pan/documents/web_informational/p2214467.pdf says
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20- ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by... [AFCI]​

I did not see an exception for a dedicated freezer outlet.

If you had to, you could resort to a subpanel if you ran out of space.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Since AFCI is to protect the wiring, such an exception would not seem to make sense.

Look at what your code says about running EMT to your dedicated outlet.

You may be thinking of an "exception" for GFCI; like for a normally "inaccessible" outlet behind a built-in microwave oven or whatever... Not a pro -- I don't claim that anything like that is still in the NEC -- reading the applicable code, or one of the pros can answer that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
AFCI protect the dwelling from potential fires caused by a faulty connection resulting in arcs. A GFCI protects the individual from a device fault. The things, today, are not prone to 'false' tripping. There is almost always a valid reason.

A nearby electrical storm, a high current motor, and probably lots of other things can cause electrical noise on the power lines in your home. I'm a big advocate of installing a whole-home surge/spike/noise filter at the panel. AFCI were not required when my home was built, so I have none. But, I do have some GFCI, and replaced all of the receptacles in my mother's house with GFCI (and their downstream receptacles) to allow 3-prong plugs to be used (okay, and approved, if you mark each receptacle in the chain that there's no real ground), and except for a cable that had a nail or staple in it, and once when it should have tripped, in over 30-years, I've never had one trip. If it does, and it saved your house from burning down, or saved you from being electrocuted (or at least from getting a shock that could injure you), is it worth the price of maybe losing what's in the fridge or freezer? I think so, and the code agencies believe so as well, which is why they are required. A properly working system does NOT trip for no reason. Using a whole-home surge/spike/noise suppression unit can eliminate many transients that might confuse the safety devices. They are not expensive, but usually require a 240vac breaker to properly wire the thing up (some give alternative methods) so you can protect both legs of your power.

People often put their 'old' frig or freezer down in the basement, and it doesn't get accessed that often. Those often tend to be an energy hog because they've gotten MUCH more efficient as the years passed, and because they are old, they can have some issues that could trip the safety devices...it's not that the devices are bad, it's that the old frig or freezer really should have been retired rather than reused. Off my soapbox, but consider, the codes agree with me, and no product delivered today that has passed UL testing should trip a safety device if it is working properly. The surge/spike/noise filter at the power panel takes care of the power line transients that could confuse an AFCI for the most part.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Alarms do not do any good, if it trips while you are on vacation, as happened to my daughter.They came home to a warm freezer and putrid spoiled meat.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Thanks folks. AFCI it is...
I`m sorry but I would NOT put a freezer that has dedacated circuit on AFCI .
That being said, every time the motor starts it is going to create an arc and when that happens it can cause the AFCI to trip.
Install a single outlet on a 20 amp circuit.No AFCI or GFCI.
Just my opinion.

borisf

Reaction score
That being said, every time the motor starts it is going to create an arc and when that happens it can cause the AFCI to trip.
Just my opinion.
This is on a permit and will get inspected. Based on this thread, I'm not sure that approach -- while preferable -- would pass.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A surge/noise suppression device should stop an AFCI from tripping, if it really did it anyways.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
It sounds like no AFCI since not a "habitable" area.
Under the 2014 NEC this is incorrect. There are very few exceptions where AFCI is not required. Even refers and DW are not exempt.
Not that I agree, but when you are forced to comply.......

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Just my opinion.
Hey, thanks for the personal OPINION, but this is directly counter to current codes. Do what you want in your own home, but do NOT suggest to others publicly to violate safety codes and standards.

Even I will admit that new AFCIs do a much better job at countering nuisance tripping.

Stuff

Reaction score
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Under the 2014 NEC this is incorrect. There are very few exceptions where AFCI is not required. Even refers and DW are not exempt.
Not that I agree, but when you are forced to comply.......
24o VAC sump pumps and freezers might get more popular for a while.

Is there an exception if you wire the 120 VAC sump pump or dishwasher into a box? I would not worry about a false trip on a dishwasher myself. No dire consequences if the DW goes off.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It's not all that hard to model the characteristics of a motor, and program that into the chip logic of an AFCI. I think that over the years, because of nuisance issues, they've continually tweaked them. They are not new technology any more. If the motor starts making so much electrical noise, the brushes (the ones that tend to make more electrical noise) are probably worn out and the thing needs servicing anyways. SOmetimes, an old AM radio can be a good test tool, certainly much more commonly available than an oscilloscope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks