Decorative drain beneath glass vessel sink

Users who are viewing this thread

garrry

Reaction score
I am installing a glass vessel sink that will rest on a glass shelf, with no cabinetry beneath it. It will connect to a brushed nickel bottle s-trap coming out ot the wall. The s-trap and the drain below the sink will all be visible.

All the sink drains I've found have about three inches of threads at the bottom before you get to the tailpiece. Has anyone ever come across a drain with a very short threaded body, or thought of another solution that would hide or eliminate the threads below the sink?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the drains do have the threading below. If this is a glass vessel without an overflow, make sure you install a drain that works for that.
A standard grid drain installed without the overflow in the bowl will drain very slowly. They do make some drains with larger openings and domed up a bit to break up the water a bit. The pop-up drains work better too.

mountain-with-grid.jpg

Mountain drain with grids. This works on a vessel lav.

Last edited:

garrry

Reaction score
Most of the drains do have the threading below. If this is a glass vessel without an overflow, make sure you install a drain that works for that.
A standard grid drain installed without the overflow in the bowl will drain very slowly. They do make some drains with larger openings and domed up a bit to break up the water a bit. The pop-up drains work better too.
Thanks, Terry. Actually, I was planning just to drill out the grid holes to make them a bit wider. I'm nervous about a pop-up drain, because there is no overflow. Is there a way to deactivate the ability for the pop-up to close?
So no drains without threading? Is there anything like a sleeve that screws over the threads?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You must compress the drain to the bowl to make a good seal and to hold it in position, so threads would seem to be the only reliable way (IMHO).

If your drain is plated, drilling it out won't look good. Even if the sink does not have an overflow, you might want a way to fill it, otherwise, it's only ever going to be used while water is flowing, which could be a waste of resources.

garrry

Reaction score
You must compress the drain to the bowl to make a good seal and to hold it in position, so threads would seem to be the only reliable way (IMHO).

If your drain is plated, drilling it out won't look good. Even if the sink does not have an overflow, you might want a way to fill it, otherwise, it's only ever going to be used while water is flowing, which could be a waste of resources.

I understand the need for the threads, I was just hoping someone knew of a manufacturer who provided one inch of them, rather than three inches, for this kind of situation.
You have a point about the plating - I probably should reconsider the drilling idea. Thanks.
The sink is in a powder room, so no one will ever have a reason to fill it and I wouldn't want them to.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just an idea: suppose your threaded drain is 1-1/4. Tighten the nut. Sleeve the threads with a plain chrome 1-1/2 inch tailpiece, and cut it to the length you need.
pACE3-17453277t181.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks