Decorative arch or framing support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremy H

Reaction score
We recently started remodeling the kitched of our new house and decided it would be a good time to remove the "decorative" arch on the other side of the wall that creates a visual divider between an open living room and dining room.

As I removed the sheet rock and exposed the framing I was a little surprised to see the significant framing that it was made from 2x12s with joists spaced 16 on center. There was subflooring on top with adhesive in between. It was basically co structed as a raised subfloor.

Its clear it doesnt support any vertical loads as it's only toenailed on each end to the walls. But after looking at the significant construction I began to wonder if it was intended to tie the opposing walls together in some way. After sifting through some structural framing guides it seems like there would be strapping or similar if it was intended to be a structural tie for wind or earthquake loading.

It seems like a very slim chance it would be structural but thought I would be better safe than sorry and call a structural engineer just to review. With the fire devistation out here last year (Santa Rosa, CA) everyone is booked months out and I'm now halted in my tracks.

Is this so blatently obvious that I'm making a big deal out of nothing or should I be legitimately concerned? Any experience or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

1526142942369621116607.jpg
1526142992125128567722.jpg
15261430465801270289072.jpg
15261430662951482377653.jpg
15261432021001590023325.jpg

Jeremy H

Reaction score
In the first picture the wall on the left is an exterior wall the wall on the right is a two story internal wall that is the kitchen on the first floor and the master bed on the second story. The valuted ceiling connects the two walls.

That external wall is about 26 feet long and the arch connects near the middle of it. I thought there was a slight chance it was there to brace the external wall from dynamic loading (wind, earthquake). As i said, there is definitely no vertical loading.

I'll attach a picture from the other direction for better perspective.

Thanks for the question.
1526182743952962993448.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I dont know that some photos are going to be able to allow us to see how your house is framed. The vaulted ceiling needs to have some manner of framing to prevent its weight from pushing the tops of the walls outward.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the third picture, it doesn't look like the arch is a connector between the two walls. Still to make an assessment, a visual inspection is a must.

You concern is valid, so get a qualified framer or an engineer to evaluate what you have. A physical inspection beats pictures.

Jeremy H

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I agree that the ideal situation would be to get a structural engineer and review the layout, but as I stated I'm located in Santa Rosa, CA where we had all of the wildfire devistation late last year so every structural engineer I can find is booked months out. I have several other people (drywall, countertops, and flooring) already lined up and waiting on me to to start but this concern has put a halt in our remodel progress.

I completely understand the limitations with pictures but thought there was a slim chance it would be more obvious (either positive or negative) to someone that does this more frequently.

My next idea is to go to the city and see if they have the original plans submitted when the property was built (30 years ago). Slim chance but im keeping my fingers crossed. If i had the plans I'm thinking I could find someone out of the area to send for review.

Any other creative ideas? I'm fairly desperate at this point as the novelty of remodeling is quickly being lost by my wife....

Many thanks for the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks