deck

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could put Thompsons waterproofing over the Cabots I used on the deck. It doesn't seem to be repelling the water. Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In some locales, you might have to reapply that stuff yearly. Not sure, but expect it wanted a couple of coats the first time it was applied. Double-check the instructions. Old wood can be really thirsty, and will soak the stuff up; eventually, if you apply enough, it should make it between seasons.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I went and read their application instructions - it says one coat. My guess is, though, that you didn't apply a good one. It also says to only apply enough that can be absorbed, but it talks about spraying it on, then brushing to even it out. If you applied it too thin, it won't work properly. Did you use as much as it says? They give 'normal' coverage specs, and if you got significantly more coverage, you really didn't!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have wiped off the excess, no pools of sealer, let it dry.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I think you'll be okay once it gets a chance to soak in. Decking thathas seen th esun for a few years can suck up a lot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks