Deck Mount Tubs not Meant for Showering ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
TL made a comment and I just to re-explore it as a thread..

Are Deck Mount Tubs not meant for shower/shower enclosures

Or is it just the premise that is is more liable/suspect to water intrusion just due to the the layout of a deck mount top.

For MY application, I was thinking I would use a deck mount tub, incorporate deck mount controls for tub filler/tub control on the deck and it would still be built with 3 sided wall - 2 sides with tile right ontop of the edge of the tub.

DougB

Reaction score
You can get drop-in tubs that have a tiling flange on three sides. The outside rests on deck wall you build and tile - but water doesn't get on that outside lip - because of the shower door or shower curtain.

You need a tile flange. What's done is to shim the studs above the tub (say 1/4") this allows the cement board to come down over the flange. You caulk this space with 100% silicone.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Tile Flange aside - I was planning to make my own flashing----that would be waterproof to the stud down to the tub edge. Rock ontop and 2 more layers of waterproofing layers (paintable) + then the space is sealed between the tub and the cementboard...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use an approved method to make the seal. It's much easier to get a tub with the tiling flange built in, but most manufacturers sell an add-on one for their tubs. The hassle is, with any add-on one, it is up to the workmanship as to whether it will work or not...a factory tiling flange will work. Kerdi can be used - Schluter has a diagram on their recommended method to install it on their website when using this. I'd have second thoughts about using any paint-on waterproofing on a drop-in unless there was a tiling flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks