Deciphering a Anode Rod Condition

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Just replaced a anode rod in a 5 year tank roughly. Looks to be about 20-25%'ish depleted.

The bottom 1/4" was depleted to the core.
On the top, right below the nut, it was about 2" completed depleted to the core.

Anyone care to shed some insight on why the -ends- show a faster decay rate ?

Reach4

Reaction score
In the sketch, let the green lines represent current between the anode (red) and the steel. The current will tend to flow to the closer part of the anode. The ends are closer to more area on the tank.

Attachments

• img_3a.png
    img_3a.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 134

Chefwong

Reaction score
Thx. Get it now. More steel....? Presuming the entire core (sidewalls, top and bottom are glass lined)...have to do some more reading now...to answer my question - is the interior cavity considered more glass or steel

Reach4

Reaction score
Thx. Get it now. More steel....? Presuming the entire core (sidewalls, top and bottom are glass lined)...have to do some more reading now...to answer my question - is the interior cavity considered more glass or steel
I think the anode mainly has to deal with tiny cracks in the glass. I am going to guess for modeling that cracks are fairly evenly distributed. Now is my guess model right? I don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks