Decibel rating from AO Smith/Rheem/Takagi Tankless

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by greenmax, Dec 4, 2019.

1. greenmax

greenmax New Member

Hello,
    I am in the process of installing an gas powered external tankless water heater to heat one bathroom and kitchen. I am looking at 6.6gpm, 140K BTU heaters and am leaning towards an AO Smith ATO-110-U-N.

However, someone recently mentioned to me that these heaters can be as loud as 85dB. This sounds very loud to me. So I started checking for noise specs and could not find them for any of the brands.

I am confused now as to how loud these heaters can get. Does anyone have an idea on the typical sound made by these heaters.

Any links to spec sheets would be welcome.

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

I can't tell you in dBA with any certainty, but they're really not very loud at all. Many refrigerators are louder than typical tankless water heaters. I have an older 175K Takagi in the basement less than 10 feet from my bed pillow, and even when there is no wind or traffic or indoor activity I have to strain to hear it from the bedroom. If I had to guess (which I do) mine is something on the order of 45-50 dBA.

I can't imagine any 140K water heater hitting north of 60 dBA, especially a newer model.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement